Square tube front driveshafts

Tebbsjeep

Is there any pro's or con's to running a front driveshaft made of square tube? My jeep has lock out hubs and doesn't see much road time these days. I need a new driveshaft, and I'm just curious if it is better/cheaper to go the square route. Anyone with experience please chime in good or bad.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
With lockout hubs I don't see the vibrations being a problem for you. I'm guessing you wouldn't drive it in the snow at 45mph locked in 4wd.

From the videos I've seen of people building them as long as they are done right they are fine. Easy to repair and far more slip then you can get with a traditional shaft. I want to say Xtreme 4x4 did an episode where they built one but I couldn't tell you which episode or season for that matter which one it was.

Marsh99

Lover of all things Toyota
With lockout hubs I don't see the vibrations being a problem for you. I'm guessing you wouldn't drive it in the snow at 45mph locked in 4wd.

From the videos I've seen of people building them as long as they are done right they are fine. Easy to repair and far more slip then you can get with a traditional shaft. I want to say Xtreme 4x4 did an episode where they built one but I couldn't tell you which episode or season for that matter which one it was.

I mis-read I thought he said without lockout hubs.
I ran a square driveline on my DD 4runner for 2 years no problems.

Tebbsjeep

So with not driving in 4wd at high-ish speeds it sounds like I would be fine. Where would I locate someone to build one for me? I have the yokes from my old shaft that I believe could be reused in the new one.

UFAB

Not really sure why you would want a sloppy shaft. I know that people opt for that upgrade in their mind when they are on a small budget.

Vibration will wear out the opinion bearings and t-case out put shaft.

They work and some claim that the square tube helps walk across rocks when rubbing the ground.

abhaulr1

Bush Eaters
Your not going to be driving at speeds, i have had one in the front of my jeep for 2.5 yrs, not one pinion bearing failure. I drove my jeep in front wheel drive from the snakes back to my house in Tooele. Didnt get over 15mph but didnt have any problems.
Dwayne

O'neal

?????????
If you can run the front without the cv get 2 slip yokes and make one....it's way easier,runs straight and true without the vibes.Run regular 2.5 and 2" square tube not the receiver 2.5"....It will be tight and you will have to run a groove down the 2" to slip into the 2.5 because of the weld seam but it will be noise free and tight.

Last edited:

sabatoa1

I can build one for you to what ever spec you want. I have been running mine on my 4runner for a couple years no vibs. I spin them on a lathe to make sure they are as true and straight before final weld, and then they are welded with .080 dual sheild for strength. If you are interested P.M. me