St. George Travel Plan Comments Needed

Don B

formerly rebarguy
St. George BLM Travel Management Plan

Comment deadline for scoping process July 19, 2010

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) St. George Field Office has formally kicked off the planning process that will result in a Comprehensive Travel and Transportation Management Plan. This plan will include specific route designations for motorized and mountain bike use. Meaning - if its not on the map - its closed!
The BLM will also finalize the designation of the High Desert Trail System and identify a Northern Transportation Route bringing OHV users from BLM lands to the OHV trail systems on the Dixie and Fishlake National Forests.
This planning process is being conducted on a parallel track with the development of Resource Management Plans (RMPs) for the newly designated 63,500-acre Beaver Dam Wash National Conservation Area (NCA) and the 45,000-acre Red Cliffs NCA, as well as Amendment of the St. George Field Office 1999 Resource Management Plan. In addition, the BLM is planning to designate additional Areas of Critical Environmental Concern (ACECs) for the conservation of biological resources and natural communities.
An Environmental Impact Statement (EIS) will be prepared to analyze the impacts related to all of the above. Public input is essential and the public is invited to:

• Provide route inventory data (e.g., maps, digital files, GPS data)
• Identify routes important for facilities access, recreation, commercial activities, etc.
• Identify areas where existing routes create impacts to sensitive natural and heritage resources,
• Identify routes that could be included in the High Desert Trail System
• Identify alternatives for the Northern Transportation Route

The public scoping period started on May 10, 2010, when the Notice of Intent was published in the Federal Register. Scoping comments will be accepted through July 19, 2010

Comments can be mailed or delivered to:
Attention: Planning Project Manager
c/o Bureau of Land Management
St. George Field Office
345 East Riverside Drive
St. George UT 84770

Or emailed to: utsgrmp@blm.gov

Comment Suggestions
This Travel Management Planning and RMP revision is now in the Scoping Process, which means that the BLM is gathering information to use to develop the Alternate Proposals which will then be presented for public comment. If you have any specific information on roads and trails within the St. George BLM Field Office area it is important that BLM is given this information at this time. If you are not familiar with the area, you may submit a comment supporting motorized recreation in the area using the information given below.
The importance of public input cannot be overemphasized. Land managers are
mandated to use public input to shape management decisions. The anti-OHV
community is well-funded, well-organized, and capable of submitting thousands of
unique public comments for each proposed management plan. The OHV community
must work to counterbalance this “manufactured” input by submitting substantive,
informed, and personal comments. The days of “form comments” and “generated email comments” are over. Formulated comments generated by online “letter writers” are not valid forms of public comment. Therefore, comments from concerned users should be unique and personal. Comments should be as specific as possible. Include information regarding your own experiences and favorite trails/areas affected by the proposed Travel Management Plan. Relate how changes will affect you and your family’s recreation habits in the area.

1. Sand Mountain Open OHV Area
Our understating is that this area will remain designated open. We strongly support this. We believe the best way to manage this area, including the Hurricane sand dunes, is to leave it under BLM administration and not Sand Hollow State Park. We do not want to have to pay a fee to enter the area . We would also suggest that the open OHV area be extended around Warner Valley to the state line. The BLM should complete and administer staging areas in the open OHV area in Warner Valley.

2. Gunlock Open OHV Area
It was not stated that this area was to remain with an Open OHV designation so we need to assume that this is in question. We strongly support keeping this area as open. There are very few areas left on BLM lands that have the open designation and we do not want to lose any of what we still have. Under any circumstances we want to see all of the existing roads in this area left open. There are trails in this area known locally as “The Squeeze” along with connector routes. We support Utah 4x4 Club’s position on this trail with the data they have submitted. These trails need to remain open for motorized use.

3. High Desert ATV Trail
All routes shown on the BLM’s inventory map should remain open. Roads that are used by full size vehicles that are designated as ATV routes for the High Desert Trail system should remain open to all OHV’s. We oppose closing off any roads to full size vehicles except under special circumstances i.e. too narrow or not previously used by full sized.

4. Ash Creek
This is the old washed out road. It is popular with users of highly modified 4x4’s “buggies” as a technical challenge trail. Having these types of difficult trails in suitable locations where they do not damage recourses give users of these type vehicles a suitable place to recreate and not have to use more sensitive areas.

5. ACEC’s (Areas of Critical Environmental Concern)
Oppose the creation of any new ACEC’s. This is a back door approach to creating new areas managed as wilderness and with the designated wilderness areas, along with the conservation areas there is already enough land in Washington County being closed off to motorized use.

Note;
These comment suggestions are meant to help out those that are not familiar with the area. If you live in the area or have visited, please include information about what trails you use, what trails you intend to use, your personal experiences and why you want to see these roads and trails stay open.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
To Whom it may Concern:

I am writing in regards to the RMP for the St George Field Office. I have included several areas of concern. My main areas of concern wich will affect myself and family is in regards to motorized recreation. I have lived in Washington County for more than half my life and have extensive knowledge of the area. I am a member of the Washington County Search and Rescue, we use routes and trails county wide very extensively. I use many for both recreation as well as for life saving mission's. I have two ATV's that I use often. My 2005 Honda Rincon has nearly 10,000 miles, most of which has been in Washington County. I have offered my assistance and any assistance you may need from our Search and Rescue team to help GPS and verify routes.

In Washington County we have many area's off limits to motorized recreation. I believe what still exists can be managed repsonsibly with protection of ACES. In my perspective we need to manage and preserve any existing routes that currently exist. Many existing trails may not be on your maps or were excluded from the 1999 RMP because the BLM did not know they existed. I feel that several areas could be managed better as far as redundant routes. This would be routes that are side by side of each other, past a mud hole or an area with rough terrain. Many of the local clubs will offer assistance and guidance on areas of concern. They will also organize work groups and help patrol and manage areas that are being abused. Your office has a great working relationship with the motorized community and I would like to see that relationship continue. I also wanted to suggest a procedure for routes and trails that may not be included in the RMP to be added at a later date. This procedure should be a streamline process within the scope of the plan. My main concerns is many trails and routes will be excluded from the plan, because they have not been submitted by individuals. I feel it is the responsibility of the BLM to take into consideration every known route as part of this plan and to include them as part of the High Desert ATV trail system. Many trails have connector routes and you can nearly ride anywhere in the county if you know what route to travel.

I believe this RMP in combination with the Washington County Land Use Bill will set the precedence of future RMP'S in the Western States. Lets get it right and take into consideration views from the locals and those that have the most at stake in the decision's made. These are the people who are most affected by management practices, not some guy from back East who has visited twice in twenty years. We have proven over the years especially in Washington County we are stewards of the land. We have protected critical habitat and ACEC'S as well as State Parks and recreation areas. We want to protect and promote our public lands more than any number of tourists and visitors, we have more at stake than just a place for some New Yorker to go on vacation. For many its and lifestyle and a way of life, not to mention how they make a living.

1. Sand Mountain Open OHV Area

My understanding is that this area will remain designated open. The best way to manage this area, including the Hurricane sand dunes, is to leave it under BLM administration and not Utah State Park. There involvement in management should be limited. We do not want to have to pay a fee to enter the area. I would also like to see the clubs and local communites to be involved in construction and management of staging areas accessing this area. I believe that the Open area should extend to the Utah Arizona state line and across to the St George side of Warner Valley. There are many areas in Warner Valley that could be improved to be used as staging or camping areas in toy haulers and travel trailers. The dinosaur tracks have be protected and offer a look into the past with lots of visitors each year. A sign in sheet such as offered at the Black Rock petroglyphs could be offered as well as a picnic area. Manage this area with pro active and community involvement. Many local communites benefit from the popularity of this area. They will be impacted the most by changing the current management practice. Please include them in future decision's in management practices.

2. Gunlock Open OHV Area

I strongly support keeping this area as open. If not left as an open area I would like to see all of the existing roads in this area designated as open. There are trails in this area known locally as "The Squeeze" along with connector routes. I support Utah 4x4 Club's position on this trail with the data they have submitted. These trails need to remain open for motorized use. This group is a solid active group who promote responsible use of public lands.

3. High Desert ATV Trail

All routes shown on the BLM's inventory map should remain open. Roads that are used by full size vehicles that are designated as ATV routes for the High Desert Trail system should remain open to all OHV's. Existing routes county wide should be acknowledged and taken into consideration for either open or closed status. The premise of closed unless posted open should be excluded from this RMP. It is not feasible to post every route considered open in Washington County, this is a logistical and impractical approach. Not to mention when the sign is destroyed or removed on a route, the route would then be considered closed. Closure of any route or trail in this RMP should be looked at from and enforcement point of view as well as environmental. If a closure cannot be effectively enforced it should not be considered for closure, it does not make sense to close existing routes, but construction of new routes should be discouraged.

4: Ash Creek Road

This is the original road to Cedar City. It is popular with users of highly modified 4x4's "buggies" as a technical challenge trail, it is also used by many on ATV'S and motorcyles. Having these types of difficult trails in suitable locations where they do not damage the surroundings give users of these type vehicles a suitable place to recreate and not use more sensitive areas.

5. China Town

The China Town trail dropping from Highway 9 at GPS 37.207210° -113.240141° and ending 37.200012° -113.248544° gives a scenic and unique recreation opportunity. Although this area and road see lots of use it has had very little environmental damage. Signs of La Verkin City remind people that dumping carrys a stiff fine has alleviated dumping for the most part. Many clean ups and self management by user groups have eliminated abuse. This whole area includes the Hurricane Canal trail and several biking routes. Many are a total blast on a mtn Bike. The area from the town of Virgin west to Hurricane and North across Highway 9 should be considered for travel on existing routes. This to extend as far north as the Black Ridge wilderness area, and the road going to Toquerville falls. Many trails exist in this area and also has little or no abuse. Much of this area is very rugged as so abuse by motorized recreation would be some what limited. This area includes routes including, La Verkin Twist, both upper and lower and La Verkin Creek trail. This area where it is close to town is a popular spot for Mtn Bikes, ATV'S, Equestrian and hiking. Yet unlike comparable areas for example Stucki Springs near Santa Clara. This are has had little dumping, possible because of the access to a shooting range and a dumpster on site. I would hate to see existing routes close to town be closed and put the pressures from that closure on another area. This is a great area for a quick after work recreation spot. Also having a shooting range has drastically cut back on surrounding areas being a dumping ground, like Stucki Springs and the Arizona strip. Manage the existing shooting range as open and self managed as it has been for thirty or more years.

6. Babylon Area

The area in concern extends from Highway 17 in Toquerville to I-15 near Leeds. Starting South near the Virgin river (Babylon Mills)and extending North to Anderson Junction on I-15. Some of this area is Red Cliffs desert reserve and has limited access by motorized means. I believe this area is also a unique area and offers an area that should be limited to existing trails and routes. It should have an extensive inventory. The road dropping from above the Virgin River in Hurricane GPS 37.188315° -113.357611° should be considered open to connect to the road from Babylon Mills to Leeds. From Leeds you can take the Danish Ranch Road and ride to St George, Dammeron Valley, Diamond Valley etc..... Also in this area there is opportunity for future infastructure for a highway leading from the previous GPS coordinates to the north Leeds exit. This to Access I-15 and make a critical connector route. This area in the future will have much water developement by the Water Conservancy District. I would like to point out that the China Town and Babylon Area could be similar to the Hog Canyon Trail System near Kanab Utah. These areas are similar and with proper signs maps could be used as part of the High Desert Trail System. Being close to town would help with management and enforcement issues and make this both a great motorized and non motorized recreation area. Again I would mention the local clubs would help implement and do remediation work on any of the areas of concern. Instead of closing areas such as this close to town and having the enforcement nightmare I believe they could be managed as multiple use.

Last edited:

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
7. Little Creek

Little Creek mountain is and area of ACEC. There are many ATV and Mtn bike routes, many are not designated or considered open for travel. An extensive inventory of this area to include Mtn Bike and ATV routes need to be considered. Working with the user groups extensively would help to include routes and minimize frustration and abuse by designating existing routes. We would still be able to protect those areas of concern and have a responsible recreation area. Also leaving the top of Little Creek Mountain is the Burma Trail road. Beginning of the road on top is at 37.093659° -113.188330°. This is a great route and has been included on the permit for the Tri State ATV jamboree for several years. This route needs to be maintained as open.

8. Gooseberry Mesa

This has been a great area for both motorized and non motorized, I would like to see this maintained as is in it's current State.

9. Caanan Mtn

Caanan Mountain always seems to be a topic of passionate discussion. Notice on every BLM map in existence your acknowledgement that the Caanana Mountain Sawmill Road exists. There are many Wilderness areas that have Cherry Stem roads into them. I have personally used Caanan Mtn Sawmill road in the past for Search and Rescue mission's. Many lives would have been lost over the years had this road not been available or didn't exist. I believe it is a historic and unique route that was left out of the Washington County Land Use Bill. It has been used extensively for decades, both for recreation and commercial use. I understand that little to nothing could be done to remedy this issue, other than through the courts or by legislation. However I feel it the BLM's responsibility to pressure the Secretery of Interior to check into the issues and controversy over the Caanan Mountain Sawmill Road. It needs to be brought to a resolution and obviously closure doesn't seem to be and option. These disputes should be resolved as part of the RMP. This road is still used by thousands of people each year. Is it not ironic it's call Sawmill Springs. In existance on the mountain is the original sawmill, the log drop and several man made items. The routes on Caanan mtn could be managed and designated, and be used respectfully. Many users over the years have abused certain areas on top of Caanan mtn. This would be alleviated by designating routes, and managing as it has been used for decades.

10. West Desert

Routes on the West Desert should only be limited to existing routes and no closures of routes should be considered. Many areas could be maintained as loop routes and an extensive network of trails could be maintained. An area with great recreation opportunity with good mapping and trail signs. Another area similar to the Hog Canyon trail system.

11. Steep Trail

Steep Trail is in the Elephant Cove road area and drops from the main route across the river and ties into the Poverty Road. This is a connector route that until recently has been open for travel. I know in the pase people have used the river as a route. This should not be allowed, however closing steep trail suddenly makes the Poverty road a dead end at the river. The Elephant Gap Area from the State line to Mount Carmel should be on existing routes only and instead of the mass closure of routes, as seems to have been going on more all the time out there. The area behind the WSA signs are generally respected. This area needs extensive inventory and GPS work to find illegal and reduntant routes and make it an area of responsible motorized recreation. After converstion with your officers they would agree that very little abuse takes place in this area in comparison to abuse taking place in the areas closer to town. However if an area close to town is closed to motorized recreation the pressure of that closure would reflect an increase use and possibly abuse on more pristine and unique areas like Elephant Gap and other areas that have been historically used responsible.

I probably have not covered nearly all the areas of concern in Washington County, however I believe their is room for compromise as with any RMP. I have simply covered the topics of concern to me and those close to me. I believe dependant and what the RMP includes or excludes it will affect me in a personal way. I recreate and use public land with respect, I expect others to use it in the same manner. I have spent countless hours over the years volunteering and promoting responsible motorized recreation. As well as clean up's work project and improvement or our public lands. I get a perspective that most don't because of my work in Search and Rescue and hours spent in the backcountry. I have involved my self with the issues of motorized and mechanized recreation and use public lands in multiple ways. I would include much of the concerns I have with hiking, biking and other ways I recreate. However I feel that what is most at stake in any RMP is the way the route designation's will be implemented. I have taken alot of time to compile information for you to help you better understand and implement this RMP. I hope you will take my comments and suggestion's into consideration as you complete your draft. Thanks for you time and all you do for Public Lands in Washington County. Please feel free to contact me if you have any questions.

Sincerely Casey Lofthouse

Last edited:

Don B

formerly rebarguy
Yeah Casey, absolutely great stuff.
I hope more than one person has been inspired. The deadline for comments is next Monday, July 19th.

Washington County is one of the premier wheeling areas in the country as anyone who has been there knows. So far the actions of the public to keep it that way have been pathetic at best. Please take a minute and write a comment and submit it.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
I guess that is what happens when you get diarrhea of the keyboard. I have several other comments I could add to that. However I want to see how the draft plan turns out, before raising my hackle any more! Thanks for the kind words.