STaK Mounted

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If it doesn't tear your transmission in half, I guess you're golden!

Fab skillz-- check
Adoration of the masses-- check
clean look-- check

heheheh

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
Bummer.... after reading about mounting drive trains and finding out where the TH400 is prone to break I went out to look at mine and how I have it mounted. Yep, I found the crack..... What really bugs me is that I just got the T Case mounted and now I have to pull the entire drive train out to replace the case..

really pisses me off!

Anyone have a junk TH400?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Looking good Shawn! This makes me want to re-think my atlas mounting setup. I like what you did.

Maybe you need to re-think your re-thinking? You haven't had any trouble with it or your tranny case, have you?

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I never had a problem with poly bushings for motor mounts, but broke my TH350 case using them as tranny mounts in my first buggy. I cured it by changing to a single poly bushing in the middle instead of two at each "framerail".

Second buggy I took the easy/fast way out since I ran out of time, and had a bushing at each side again. I got lucky and never broke the TH400 in that one, but I was always nervous.

My Willys build, I'm using somewhat softer rubber bushings for motormounts, so I'll have to be careful to not have a rigid trans mount.

fergusor

I went for over a year half of hard wheeling and comps with the atlas unsupported and never had a problem. The first trip out with the stak broke the th350 in half. I had it mounted the same way as the atlas. I added a support to the lower back RT to stop the twisting the TC will cause when you have a hard hit. I used the the same poly mounts on the tc as I did on the motor. I never had any issues after or broken case after I put the support on.

Last edited:

Shawn

Just Hanging Out
I went for over a year half of hard wheeling and comps with the atlas unsupported and never had a problem. The first trip out with the stak broke the th350 in half. I had it mounted the same way as the atlas. I added a support to the lower back RT to stop the twisting the TC will cause when you have a hard hit. I used the the same poly mounts on the tc as I did on the motor. I never had any issues after or broken case after I put the support on.
so basically running the same mount as I have but adding polly motor mounts.

fergusor

so basically running the same mount as I have but adding polly motor mounts.

I only ran one support do to room. I was the same idea, but I used the holes on the bottom and mounted to the cross member. I used the same poly bushings for the TC as I used for my motor mounts.