Starter Kick Back

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Ok I know this is one of those Jeep mysteries, but I'll see if this mystery has struck any of you and could fix.

My '87 Jeep ('93 motor) starts fine most of the time, but about every 6 to 9th start the starter kicks back and makes a god-awful noise like a record (you know LPs, not CDs) all of a sudden running backwards. The jeep still starts when it does this, but on the about 4th time I have to re-seat a vacuum hose. I’m on my 5th starter, so I know it’s not the starter itself, and I can’t warranty the starters anymore so I have to figure out what the real cause is.

Any ideas?

H-K

INFIDEL
Supporting Member
Webby said:
Ok I know this is one of those Jeep mysteries, but I'll see if this mystery has struck any of you and could fix.

My '87 Jeep ('93 motor) starts fine most of the time, but about every 6 to 9th start the starter kicks back and makes a god-awful noise like a record (you know LPs, not CDs) all of a sudden running backwards. The jeep still starts when it does this, but on the about 4th time I have to re-seat a vacuum hose. I’m on my 5th starter, so I know it’s not the starter itself, and I can’t warranty the starters anymore so I have to figure out what the real cause is.

Any ideas?

Flywheel problem? Bad teeth? I dunno, just a guess.

What vac hose? That's strange.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
H-K said:
Flywheel problem? Bad teeth? I dunno, just a guess.

What vac hose? That's strange.

My last Cherokee did that and it was (most likely) bad teeth on the flex plate. If you moved the jeep just a bit, it would engage and be fine.

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Brett said:
My last Cherokee did that and it was (most likely) bad teeth on the flex plate. If you moved the jeep just a bit, it would engage and be fine.

It always starts when it kick backs. I'm currently waiting for my camera to get here so I cam make a little MOV of the start and take a picture of the little vac line. I'm not sure what it's offical name is .. but I call it the boobie line because there are two nubs that look like ... boobies.

V-DAWG

someday
Webby said:
It always starts when it kick backs. I'm currently waiting for my camera to get here so I cam make a little MOV of the start and take a picture of the little vac line. I'm not sure what it's offical name is .. but I call it the boobie line because there are two nubs that look like ... boobies.

They just feel neglected and need some attention.

Brett

Meat-Hippy
Webby said:

Where are these vacuum lines that you are talking about?

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
Brett said:
Where are these vacuum lines that you are talking about?

Ok no movies ... but here are pics of the plug that pops out.

PICT0234.jpg

and

PICT0237.jpg

gunguy

xj's getter done
i have seen several 4.0l do this. it is usually caused from the distributer being out of sync.does your new motor seen under powered also,not a lot just wimpey?

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
gunguy said:
i have seen several 4.0l do this. it is usually caused from the distributer being out of sync.does your new motor seen under powered also,not a lot just wimpey?

It doesn't seem underpowered to me. But I can't really do freeway speeds because I'm geared so low. To do 65 I really have to wind the engine up. I just drive to and from work .. a whapping 7 miles each way. So not much time to notice if I am truely underpowered. I have noticed that since coming back from the EJS it's happening more often and is much rougher.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
I'd say a dist/timing issue is on the right track. If it is blowing that line off, it is back firing. Could be the dist is a tooth off and when the comp adjust the timing, it is going to far...or a Can position sensor, or crank position sensor issue. Check it with a timing light and see where it is at.
Does it do it more when it's hot or cold?

Webby

Official Cutie Pie
It's Random .. sometimes cold ... sometimes hot.

I've never checked the timing ... Catrubus (sp?) was suppose to do that when they finished the install of the engine. The hard start didn't show up until several months after the engine was installed.

We started it ourselves but ran into the problem that it was getting spark and gas, but wouldn't start. I replaced almost every module that has to do with anything, bought a new distributor cap/wires, starter .. the works. They said we didn't have a ground in place. Whatever, it's started so I didn't care the reason.

I'll go check the timing to see what's up ... at least that's an easy check ;)