Starting Out

ZUPER

I AM VERY NEW TO THIS, ACTUALLY A VIRGIN TO ROCK CRAWLING AND WAS WONDERING HOW TO GET STARTED. I HAVE A 94 FULL SIZE BLAZER I WANT TO TURN INTO A TRAIL RIG. WHERE DO I START. LIFT FIRST?TIRES SECOND? WHAT ARE GOOD LOCKERS? AIR, ELECTRIC OR WHAT? WHAT ABOUT AXLES AND DIFFS? AND IS MY 94 FULL SIZE BLAZER A GOOD RIG TO WHEEL?:confused: :confused:

jcruiser70

poser
The blazer is probably not the greatest starting platform, but anything can be built if you're willing to spend the time and money on it. It really just depends how extreme you want to get. Lockers are really just personal preference as far as selectable, vs full time. Oh yeah, you probably shouldnt type in all caps, because people usually interpret it as SHOUTING. :D

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
well do it little by little, take it out as is and see where you are lacking as in clearance issues or traction issues and go from there

solidfrontaxle

Toyota jihad
Take your blazer out into the hills/woods/mountains/desert. Drive around (alot). Figure out its and your limits. Fix/improve things that break. Learn to drive better. Upgrade the things on your truck that are holding you back. Keep learning to drive better.
Seriously, there is no right order to do things, but don't get a lift/tires/locker or whatever till you know you really need it. Being a good driver makes up for most that crap anyway. Lifts and tires are WAY overrated - a locker is probably a thousand times more useful. But protection and recovery equipment are much more valuable when you are starting out. Just go wheeling and learn what you need.

krazz1e

make sure you have recovery points and carry some type of recovery gear, strap, hi-lift, spare, basic tools, ect.

Go out and start wheeling it and see where it goes from there... You may be happy with what you got depending on your needs.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
krazz1e said:
make sure you have recovery points and carry some type of recovery gear, strap, hi-lift, spare, basic tools, ect.

Go out and start wheeling it and see where it goes from there... You may be happy with what you got depending on your needs.

Couldn't agree more ;) A good trail rig is one that can spend hours, days, and mabey even weeks offroad, and make it home under it's own power. First thing is first: RECOVERY (like stated above) There is nothing worse than being stuck or broken down, and having no way out, or having nothing to hook a strap to. Second: CAPABILITY that's where the lift/lockers/deep gears/bumpers/winches/tires/ ect....ect... come into play. basically a STOCK rig has no business being on a level 4-5 trail (there are exceptions, but a 90's blazer isn't one of them).

After RECOVERY It's hard to tell you where to start, but I wouldn't go with larger tires without regearing your ring and pinions. I also wouldn't put anything larger than 33" tires on that IFS front end or your 10 bolt rear end or bad things happen :sick: .

If it were me (and I was spending your money :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:), and didn't want to go to the extent of a SAS. I'd start with a good cheap 4" lift (tough country,pro-comp ect...). To keep the cost down i'd find some used 33" Goodyear MTR's or something similar for traction. For beef in the rear I'd find a factory six lug 14-bolt with the factory 4.10 gears (semi-float 9 1/2") out of a 90's C/K 2500 pickup or Suburban that will bolt right in (and probably be cheaper than re-gearing your 10 bolt anyway). After that I'd throw in a rear locker of choice, and then re-gear the front diff to a 4:10 ratio to match the rear (No availiable locker for the front, and for good reason :sick: ). I'd also replace the troublesome electronic 4wd selector with a cable operated one from Posi-Loc. Just an Idea of where to start (all opinion).

I think that anything with 4wd has serious potential, but it all depends on how much you want to spend, and what your going to use it for. Good luck keep us posted :D