State HWY to Unknown Trail - NW of Heber / Midway **Lots of pics, 56k beware**

Amy

Limited Supply Of Sanity
Hickey said:
You have an excuse for everything, don't you? :rofl:

Ha ha! At least I come up with the GOOD BELIEVABLE excuses!!!:p
:eek:
I think that the "marrige" excuse is better than the "No Money" excuse. :rofl: :rofl:

pepper

A couple of us decided to take a little trip up Sanke Creek. We made it all the way to the top and looked off into Briton ski resort. Great trip. The river that runs under the snow was crazy. We hiked up to a water fall above the picture of the water comeing out of the wall.

Does anyone know the story on the tunnel with the water comeing out?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Actually, do you have any GPS coordinates or directions to get there? I'm thinking this might be a good trip for today! Get out of the hot valley!! :D

Anyone else interested? I'm thinking leave here around 10....

Last edited:

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
Running late..But I should be on the road in the next 30 minutes. Had to find it on the GPS program and plot the day. Don't know the area, so it looks like I'll be taking the handheld GPS and my GPS enabled laptop. The laptop is nicer because of the larger screen and much more detail. Just a pain in the butt to hold on to it. But on exploration days like this, I like it better...

Anyway, if anyone is interested in going I should be at the mouth of Provo canyon around 11-1115 and my cell is 885-3142.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
waynehartwig said:
Running late..But I should be on the road in the next 30 minutes. Had to find it on the GPS program and plot the day. Don't know the area, so it looks like I'll be taking the handheld GPS and my GPS enabled laptop. The laptop is nicer because of the larger screen and much more detail. Just a pain in the butt to hold on to it. But on exploration days like this, I like it better...

Anyway, if anyone is interested in going I should be at the mouth of Provo canyon around 11-1115 and my cell is 885-3142.

This might be late, but...

Find the golf course in the valley above Midway and follow the state road up. It will turn into dirt road a little ways up, switch back and the main road will end (if they are still doing maintenance work on it). You will see a trail head to your right (jeep, hiking, atv trail), follow that up. That's the one we took. :)

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I found it... The name of the tunnel was all it took (shows up on the GPS:).

We went up and piddled around the mine and kept going up, and staying to the left. After a while we started hitting some NASTY switchbacks on real skinny roads. I think at that point we were on the back side of Alta? The next canyon over from mineral basin. I was hoping to keep going up and over the top and drop into mineral basin and come out. ...I think you still can? The spot at which I gave up was real narrow, tippy, wet and muddy. With those combinations I gave up and backed out.

There is a lot of places to go up there! Lots of cool places to camp, too!! On our way up there were some people coming out of that mine area. One had a 5th wheel trailer, probably 35', a large camper and a black Blazer. Honestly, I would never take a 5th wheel up that road! Too steep, rocky and narrow.

We also tried driving up the road where the avalanche debre was. We were able to get up a ways, but it started getting bad and it looked like it ended another 50' up anyways, so I turned around. That must have been a HUGE avalanche, though! The debre field was HUGE!

I would give it two thumbs up...Only bad part about the trip is the bugs are out!! And not one or two, either....;)

Meat_

Banned
Herzog said:
Large I6 engine just below the mine site. The whole thing was longer than the jeep and almost half as tall. I assume it was used to run the mine shafts. This thing is massive... could probably kill rockwells. :p

Badger and I went up today.... We made it all the way up to where you can walk 5 feet and see Snow Bird :D Badger will post some more pics, and maybe a bit of video. But until then I know what kind of engine it is....

It's a.... ;)

Attachments

• Af71905-6 .jpg
    Af71905-6 .jpg
    4.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Af71905-6.jpg
    Af71905-6.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 9

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
...I think at that point we were on the back side of Alta? The next canyon over from mineral basin.

Most likely you were up on the side of Sunset Peak, which is actuall on the Brighton side, unless you made it around Sunset, that would put you on the Alta side... Cool either way.

EDIT: I think your right about Alta, I need to get up there ASAP :D

Did you track your coords on your GPS? I would love to know where you ended... and your tracklog for that matter :D

Last edited:

Badger

I am the Brute squad
one of the trails we played on had a nice size boulder on a pretty skinny trail.we had to clear it to get around this bush.it was close.

tight spot
remeber all video is done with DivX codec

here are some of the pics from the day

AF71905_1.sized.jpg

AF71905_11.sized.jpg

AF71905_19.sized.jpg

notice the angle
AF71905_20.sized.jpg

looking down into Snow Bird then out the way up

AF71905_21.sized.jpg

AF71905_29.sized.jpg

AF71905_32.sized.jpg

Meat_

Banned
cruiseroutfit said:
Most likely you were up on the side of Sunset Peak, which is actuall on the Brighton side, unless you made it around Sunset, that would put you on the Alta side... Cool either way.

Did you track your coords on your GPS? I would love to know where you ended... and your tracklog for that matter :D

If he was in the same canyon as Herzog the upper trial goes and ends right above Snow Bird at a little over 9,000

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
cruiseroutfit said:

Of course I did! :D
Where I turned around was N40°34.635' and W111°34.575' and 9127 elevation.
How do I insert an excel file of my track?

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
It looks like Meat and Badger went up where we did. We didn't go as far as they did though, otherwise that boulder would have already been moved :D

But you sure that's Snowbird? I don't know where Snowbird is, so I'm not sure. But GPS program shows you right between Alta and Brighton. But that road ends, eh? I was hoping that it would have continued because the next canyon over is Mineral Basin. That would be a cool drive...Start at Provo Canyon and make a loop through American Fork Canyon!!! :cool:

EDIT: Found Snowbird! :D It's down the canyon from Alta, so you can't see it.... We were on the backside of either Brighton or Alta, in between actually, and I think you had a better view of Alta, IMO.

Last edited:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
waynehartwig said:
...I was hoping that it would have continued because the next canyon over is Mineral Basin. That would be a cool drive...Start at Provo Canyon and make a loop through American Fork Canyon!!! :cool:

There is a turnoff lower on the Snake Creek Road that connects to the NF AF canyon road just below the rockgarden (via Pole Line Pass)... :D

Badger

I am the Brute squad
i have no idea between the two i have never been up to either so... i was going by what others were saying .i'm sure it will get figured out soon enough