Steering Box Rebuild

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Well, I have my box completely tore apart... Question is: What is the order or sequence of the balls that ride on the worm gear? When I pulled it apart, they all just fell out. They are slightly colored 2 different shades, and according to my caliper, they are different in size. Which ones go where?

:confused:

terrymac

Oh, that sucks. I did the same thing on my Toyota box when I rebuilt it. It took me 2 hours to put it back together. All of the balls in mine were the same though. What kind of box do you have?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Saginaw, out of an 89 Jeep Cherokee. Yeah, it does suck. The recirculating balls look like they are all the same, but the dial caliper says differently. :(

Machine

dude, i clicked all of the lil cube thingys in your need a web site page and nothing happened....i feel like i just wasted 10 seconds of my life...may i have it back please? :D

oh and the other avitar chick was much hotter...i miss her :(

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Originally posted by Machine
dude, i clicked all of the lil cube thingys in your need a web site page and nothing happened....i feel like i just wasted 10 seconds of my life...may i have it back please? :D

oh and the other avitar chick was much hotter...i miss her :(

Yeah, it's not finished. :eek:

Anyways... back on topic. Anybody know the answers? :(

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I remember reading somewhere on PBB that they go in alternately, one big, one small,big,small.....etc. I don't know what they start with though.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Yeah, I figured it out. Evidently it doesn't matter which size you start with, you just alternate them. Large, small, large, small... You have to fill the 'U' looking tube with them, pack it with grease so they stay in and then clamp it back on.

It really wasn't very bad at all... Just takes time. I had to start over a few times, because some of the balls fell down into the wrong part of the worm gear. :rolleyes:

At least I know how to port saginaw boxes now. :D