Steering Dilema

jdub

Scrambler
I have a Jeep CJ7 that has a new steering box (one year) and steering shaft that is a fixed length, unlike it's original with the funny slip coupler.

After that year of off-roading I noticed something weird about how it handles some tight rocky areas. Basically, after three lower bearings and my new box leaking at the upper input area I have realized that the shaft is too long. It is the right size as far as length but it won't conform like the old one did to frame flex. this has made the lower bearing of the column separate and not function at all.

I have had some sketchy situations that made my jeep drive wherever it wanted till the frame loosened up. That is tolerable in wide trails, but on crazy technical redrock stuff it could prove to be dangerous.

EZ soulution is to get the shaft so it can colapse like a driveline, rebuild the input of the steering box and buy a new bearing for the bottom of the column. -also the cheaper option.

My other CJ has been flawless in the steering department with exception to the tilt mechanism coming loose every year. I know when set up properly the Cj system can work for years with 35'' tires. I added a non slip shaft and trashed the whole system...

Is there any options that I need to know about before I throw money at this?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
If you've got what you should in there-- a Saginaw box and a GM/Jeep column, the easy upgrade is an XJ shaft. Get one, install, be full of steering joy. HUGE upgrade over the lame rag-joints.

Melt or otherwise disable the XJ shafts plastic retainer plugs-- it is a slip-fit shaft anyway, you don't need them. Should take about 15min to do this swap. :D

Also, loctite the tilt screws next time you pull it apart, which is a sucky job I know well. :mad:

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Yeah, it's a collapsible link, the plastic is there so it isn't just free, I guess. Doesn't seem to make one bit of difference in the Blazer-- oddly, the stock XJ length is slightly longer than the stock Blazer rod. :rofl:

You need a new part then. I may be able to help, I think I still have a parts column sitting here. I'll take a look in the morning.