Steering gear box question

Robert T

Skull Designs Euros
My gear box isnt doing anything, as far as turning the tires, you can turn the steering wheel forever and it wont turn the tires. My question is which would be a better one to put in, ive heard the durango one is good but want some others imput. I have a dana 44 full width with 37's, thanks for any imput

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
I just put a durango box in my TJ and it feels a lot better than the stock box. I don't know if it was my old box getting tired or just the bigger internals, but it turns my 37's a whole lot better than the stock box. I would recommend rebuilding the box if you pick one up from the salvage yard. I took mine apart, changed all the seals and tapped it for hydro assist and it was really suprising how much "sludge" was in the box.

jeep-N-montero

Formerly black_ZJ
My gear box isnt doing anything, as far as turning the tires, you can turn the steering wheel forever and it wont turn the tires. My question is which would be a better one to put in, ive heard the durango one is good but want some others imput. I have a dana 44 full width with 37's, thanks for any imput

I have an upgraded 4 bolt YJ box that I was going to run but went with a steering box brace instead, already has a dropped pitman arm installed, PM me if you want more details.

Last edited:

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
98 or 99 without snow plow option.

X2, i have it in my XJ, works a lot better then the stock box for street driving. But locked F+R in 4Wheel drive its still like turning into a brick wall lol. I would port/tap it for Hydraulic Assist while its out.

anderson750

I'm working on it Rose
X2, i have it in my XJ, works a lot better then the stock box for street driving. But locked F+R in 4Wheel drive its still like turning into a brick wall lol. I would port/tap it for Hydraulic Assist while its out.
I agree with the hydro assist porting. I ported mine but need to find the $$$$$ to buy a psc ram from Clemson crawler

thenag

I am pretty sure I saw one in tear a part the other day on a Dakota. (of course it is sitting out there after I pick up one from napa...)

Yeah the Durango box is great. 37's lockrite up front, I can turn it pretty well with stock pump. (Of course with the twin sticks I usually don't have the front axle engaged)

post #108 on my build thread I talk about it and modifying it to get back a little of the travel;
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up/page8

nathan
99 xj