Stereo Mount Angle (Tuffy Box)??

sjbrownie4x4

I just got my new Tuffy Deluxe Security Console and I bust out the CD player manual (new Alpine) and notice that Alpine reccommends that you don't mount the HU any steeper than 30 degrees. Tuffy is 66.

Now this wouldn't be the first time I have used something outside the reccommeded range, but I am not sure I want a 400 dollar coaster after my first drive.....

Am I screwed?

There has got to be other people running Tuffy Stereo Boxes. Do you have problems with your mount angle? Skipping, Jamming, or Other?

Thanks,

1993yj

I have a Tuffy stereo box too, but I couldnt tell you for sure about the cd player angle. I have a pioneer tape deck and have a six disc changer mounted in the console itself. My changer doesnt ever skip, even when wheelin. I dont think that it would completely ruin the cd player, but at that angle it might not work too well, or at all. Many cd players need to be mounted pretty flat in order to read the cds. I am a huge fan of the Tuffy box as I have never gotten anything inside it stolen, but have had other items stolen out of my jeep (bastards). I would look into getting a different deck if you want to keep the Tuffy, or maybe you could even try powering up the deck and holding and gently shaking it at the 66 angle before mounting it.

UTAHCRUISER

Supporting Vendor!
I've got a Tuffy console in my FJ40. I have a mini-disc player installed in it. I am pretty unhappy about the results that I've had with it so far. I haven't had any operational issues as a result of the angle (which far exceeds the manufacturer's recommended mounting angle), but I've had other problems with it. It has the cover that you can close to protect the stereo, but I keep it opened almost always- its really convenient to operate the controls on the stereo when you are resting your arm on the padded console. The problem I've had is that over time, due to the position of the stereo, with the face pointing almost straight up, the inside of the disc player has got really dirty, and has started to cause problems ejecting the disc. Also, the constant exposure to the super fine dust that covers everything when on trails has worked its way down into the controls on the face plate- especially the volume knob, and destroyed it. The display has also got all scuffed up from constantly wiping the dust off of it.

All of this could have been avoided if I would close the cover every single time that I used it, but that gets really inconvenient if you are out wheeling and every single time you want to adjust the volume or change the track or the station, you have to open first the main door on the console and then the smaller door that covers the stereo, and then reverse that operation to close it all back up again...

chad

sjbrownie4x4

That brings up a great point. If you had a remote, like a steering wheel mounted unit I assume that would help keep it closed.

Are the remotes generally IR or RF or is there a remote sensor avaliable?

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
UTAHCRUISER said:
...All of this could have been avoided if I would close the cover every single time that I used it, but that gets really inconvenient if you are out wheeling and every single time you want to adjust the volume or change the track or the station, you have to open first the main door on the console and then the smaller door that covers the stereo, and then reverse that operation to close it all back up again...

chad

I'm in the same... too lazy to open/close the top all the time, I figure cheap CS players (I'm on #4) is easier than remembering to keep it clean... :rolleyes:

All of the CD players (Sony, Clarion, JVC) I have used thusfar worked fine at the angle, it was the dirt & pine needles inside that killed them... Sully and I had to disect the last player to get a CD out... :rofl:

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Just an idea....cheap head unit with aux input and a DAP of some kind....cost me less than $10 for a rca to mini headphone jack.
Then dirt etc is not an issue, and you don't have to worry about scratching up cd's or having them stolen. Just take you music with you:D
May a suggest a 30g iAudio X5:greg:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
rckcrlr said:
Just an idea....cheap head unit with aux input and a DAP of some kind....cost me less than $10 for a rca to mini headphone jack.
Then dirt etc is not an issue, and you don't have to worry about scratching up cd's or having them stolen. Just take you music with you:D
May a suggest a 30g iAudio X5:greg:

Good idea milfner... :cool:

willies45

willies45
I have a tuff box and I was having trouble with dust,etc. So I went down to the glass shop and got some scap plexiglass and made a cover with legs that fits over the radio face and allows my remote to work through this. Its a little of a hassle if you play many cd's but it is easier than opening both lids all the time and really helps with the dust.

Milner

formerly "rckcrlr"
Think about the DAP thing a little more....
Why couldn't you just use the mini jack to rca's For the input to a regular amp....thus making the dap a head unit??
Depending on the DAP, you still have the fm radio and eq, etc.

DevinB

I like traffic lights
I'll just echo what everyone else is saying - the dust will kill your unit before the angle will. That why I bought a 5 year warranty with my deck! Of course, it was at Ultimate Electronics which is now gone... But I went through three decks before they left!