sterling 10.25 ?

lewis

Fight Till You Die
I have never seen one in a crawler so there must be some disadvantage to them but not sure what it is. Also anyone know if the make 5.38 gears for them.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I was sitting behind a Chevy with a 14FF at a light, and a SD with the Sterling (isn't it really Vistreon or something like that?) and it seemed that the SD had quite a bit more clearance under the diff. Before anyone asks, they were both on 35" looking tires.

Edit: Oh yeah... lets finish that thought.
So, as I looked at the ground clearance, I wondered why more people arent' running them? Is it the oddball lug pattern? There are earlier versions that have a normal 8 lug pattern...

Kiel

Formerly WJ ZUK
The downsides in the past had been locker and gearing choices, but the aftermarket has come around a lot the last couple of years. I think they have 1.5 inches of ground clearence over the 14 bolt and they come with 35 spline stock

kasprzak

I used to beat the piss out of my 87 fullsize bronco, and never busted anything in the sterling I swapped out in it. Went through the dana 50 ttb upfront all the time, but sterling held up nicely. People are sheep......if it doesn't say corporate or dana something must be wrong with it.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I used to beat the piss out of my 87 fullsize bronco, and never busted anything in the sterling I swapped out in it. Went through the dana 50 ttb upfront all the time, but sterling held up nicely. People are sheep......if it doesn't say corporate or dana something must be wrong with it.

baaaah

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
What WJ Zuk said. Gear and locker options have been very limited. If that is changing now it would be great to have another cheap axle option. Too bad there aren't more viable front axle options.

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Found some info for anyone who cares, They offer gears down to 5.38's in 93 or newer sterling's and apparently older than that the yoke must be replaced to put lower then 4.56 gears in because the newer ones have a longer yoke. They make detroits,arb's and lockright lockers for them.
Looks like it will replace the blown up 12 bolt that only made it a 100 yards down the road after installing 5.38's on my bro's new runner.

JDV Racing

I found one fron a 2000 SD. I am using for my build this thing is Very Heavy Duty. The tubes are thick, disc brake are about 12". I can't wait to get it under my Explorer.