Sterling Vs. 14 Bolt!?

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
This might be a borderline newbie question but bear with me :D

My 92 Dodge uses the Dana 70U 32 spline rear axle. Its not a dud, but it has small brakes and axle shafts compared to most of the other 1 ton axles out there plus it is quite narrow which might cause problems soon. I'm in need of rear brakes and wheel cylinders and honestly I'd rather invest the money into a stronger/wider axle. I've been set on a later model 14bolt with the HUGE drums and third pinion support bearing. I like the 14 bolts and have a fair amount of experience with them plus they are super cheap. That being said I have a Sterling from an F250 sitting in the back yard that I really haven't paid much attention to and lately its had me thinking...

I've been hearing that the Sterlings are a much stronger axle (bearings, carrier, housing, no crush sleeve, ect...) compared to the 14 bolt with more ground clearance than a D60, but they are frowned upon because of the brakes (for reasons unknown) and very limited locker/R&P selection. Can you give me a pros and cons comparison to both of these axles?

Also would I be better off to look for a Dana 80? How do the 80's compare to the two? Thanks!

Andrew

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
I had that Ford corporate axle in a truck for a long time... never any brake issues? The only thing I didn't like was that the wheel seals cost like $40! Other than that, they are a damn cool axle... super cool locking nut for the spindle bearings, o-ring seal for the shafts:cool: and a decent range of R&P and locker choices now too.

Plus, everyone and their meat-munching dog has a 14-bolt.;) I think the Ford is neat just because it doesn't get used much.

rockreligious

NoEcoNaziAmmo
only couple things Ive heard bad is brakes and pinion bearing/yoke complications. oh and limited locker choice.. Ive got a sterling in my back yard, im guessing you can buy a sterling pretty cheap, ive offered mine for $50 and no one wants it bad enough to come get it.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
Cool thanks for the reply's so far :greg:

I'm starting to wonder if I can even get a yoke for the Sterling to match the 1410 U joints in my d-shaft :confused: I'm pretty sure that you couldn't get a 14bolt with a factory 1410 yoke is the Sterling the same?

How wide is that 70? PM me when you take it out and want to get rid of it. :)

Can't remember the width at the moment I do know that it is 2.5" narrower than a typical 14 bolt which is way rarrow on my full size truck. It might be awhile before I pull it but I'll let you know. It is the tear drop style 70 which is kind of cool and it had a gear driven style LSD.

Crankylove

Crankylove
The 10.25" rear axle in my F-250 has been great for me, granted, I don't use my truck nearly as hard as most of you use your vehicles, but it has held up to a whale of a truck with decent size tires and lots of skinny pedal. From checking around, the R&P and locker choices for the Sterling are pretty decent, but not quite whats available for the 14 bolt in my brothers chevy. The thing I like the most about the Sterling is the way the brake drums come off with out having to pull the shafts, makes it much quicker and easier than my bro's 14 bolt. I have heard the Sterling is as strong or stronger than the 14 bolt, but have no proof, so people could just be blowing smoke at me. If you already have the Sterling, I would go with it, and save some money for other vehicle upgrades...........or beer ;)

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I don't know that the Sterling is really much better than the 14 bolt... the locking spindle nuts are pretty cool... :D

14 bolts are cheap and easy, giving them the win for ME, personally. Run what you have access to, I say, if it works for you and fits and all that. I wouldn't go out of my way for a Sterling... but that's because I have Chevys.

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'm going to check the Yoke today and look at the axle a little closer. If it has (or I can get) a 1410 yoke I'll probably rip it out of the truck and clean it up. Anyone have a use for a recently rebuilt 6.9 IH diesel engine or C6 trans?

The thing I like the most about the Sterling is the way the brake drums come off with out having to pull the shafts, makes it much quicker and easier than my bro's 14 bolt.

and save some money for other vehicle upgrades...........or beer ;)

I didn't know that very cool!

Good call the $100 bucks that I'd save for tracking down a 14bolt would buy a TON of Pabst :greg:

Crankylove

Crankylove
I love the Pabst :)

The brake drums come off just like a 9" or other non full-floater. Hub stays on the spindle, drum comes off around it. Makes it much easier to work on than a 14 bolt or D60, no fluid to leak out either ;)

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
The more I learn about the Sterling the more I start to like it unfortunatly I have the wrong one! :D

Apperantly there are 2 different models that used the standard 8 lug pattern. 92 model years and older (I have an 86) have a "short" pinion and you can not get a 1410 yoke for that. I can install the later model R&P and find a yoke off of a newer Super Duty, but for the effort I'd be better starting with the right axle in the first place :(

Anybody know how much stronger the 1410's are compared to the 1350 U-joints? Or would it be a huge downgrade? I'm basically in the same situation with the 14bolt and yokes.

bryson

RME Resident Ninja
Supporting Member
Anybody know how much stronger the 1410's are compared to the 1350 U-joints? Or would it be a huge downgrade? I'm basically in the same situation with the 14bolt and yokes.

I believe the caps are the same size on the 1350/1410, it's just that the cross is wider on a 1410. Same as the relationship between a 1310 and a 1330.

Not much strength gained (if any.) Just a wider, harder to find u-joint.

I hope that is accurate...:eek:

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
I believe the caps are the same size on the 1350/1410, it's just that the cross is wider on a 1410. Same as the relationship between a 1310 and a 1330.

Not much strength gained (if any.) Just a wider, harder to find u-joint.

I hope that is accurate...:eek:

Maybe a little strength gain from 1350 --> 1410, but mosly the 1410 can go to much greater angles than the 1350 without binding. That may or may not be a concern, depending on the application.