stinky YJ

mesha

By endurance we conquer
My 2.5 YJ stinks like exhaust. It is driving me crazy. I put a turned down tip on the exhaust. there are no other leaks in the exhaust. it is worse when the top is off so I assume it is the exhaust. it is burning to rich probably. It only has 70,000 miles on it. Any suggestions on what I should do? Would a better intake help?

Brett

Meat-Hippy
My 2.5 YJ stinks like exhaust. It is driving me crazy. I put a turned down tip on the exhaust. there are no other leaks in the exhaust. it is worse when the top is off so I assume it is the exhaust. it is burning to rich probably. It only has 70,000 miles on it. Any suggestions on what I should do? Would a better intake help?

Where is your exhaust routed to? All the way out to the back of the Jeep or ...?

bryan93yj

I would check the o2 sensor located on the exhaust system by the header. I changed mine and it seamed to help. are you running a cat. converter. My jeep is not street legal anymore and I took my cat off for a little less pressure and now I have a little more fumes but not real bad.

mesha

By endurance we conquer
The o2 sensor is brand new. I still have a cat, but it is the only part of the exhaust that isn't new. I could replace it. Would it make that much of a difference?

wr250

insert lame comment
it could be running rich.
check the air filter, dirty air filter will run rich also check where it picks up outside air from, my toyota has a little deflector on it, an it had been folded over, covering the air pickup.
partially clogged cat will make it run a bit rich, also not burn off the excess fuel as it should.

Last edited:

mesha

By endurance we conquer
I think you are right it is running rich. I put a brand new air filter in didn't really help. Even with no air filter it's still the same. So, the cat could be the culprit? What else would make i tun so rich. Do I need a new throttle body?

wr250

insert lame comment
What else would make i tun so rich

sticky/leaking injector(s)

dirty MAF sensor

faulty temp sending unit; the computer one ,not the gauge.the computer thinks the engine is cold and richens it up.

poor sensor/computer ground(s) or wiring

yes the cat could still be the culprit. a clogged or internally broken cat will make the engine run rich.