Stockish Rig?????

xjc

I give up :(
Ok, I have heard a lot of people talking about wanting to build and wheel a stockish type rig. The challenge of getting a stock vehicle through trails that everyone else thinks they need an ARCA ready tube buggy to do has some appeal:cool: . I am seriously thinking of doing this with a sami.

What I want to hear is what everyone has in mind when they think of a stockish rig that would be fun.

My idea:
suspension-very mild lift, maybe shackles, and the bigest tires that can reasonably fit. This would probably involve the most aggresive fender trimming possible. To make up for the laque of suspension travel I would want a locker for the rear. Transfer gears would also be a good idea eventually, less cluch stench.;)

other mods:
I would include bumpers, skids, and rocker protection (gonna get some use not having much air under there) and a winch of some sort (probably wind up dragging the low rider over some bolders sometimes:D ) The idea is to protect areas made vulnerable because of being low.

Let's hear what everyone else has in mind?

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
rock rig? no no no... what you are describing is a rock sled. Lots and lots of 2x2x1/4 steel underneith, winches on either bumper (maby another somewhere inbetween), and bus-driver seats. :p

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Stockish rig.....seems to me that anything beyond a lift and tires is out of the 'stockish' catagory.

you start putting lockers and changing T-case gears and I think you're heading into the rock buggy or purpose built region.

Items such as skid plates, diff guards and winch(es) wouldn't detract from the 'stockishness' of the vehicle. You likely will be needing both the protection and recovery items.

Talk to demon jeep about wheeling a 'stockish' type rig. I think he qualifies (lift and bigger tires is all he has besides a winch). He can take those open diffs plenty of places.

my $0.02

Last edited:

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
I think a 'Sleeper' rig would be cool. If you're thinking about a Sammi, then how about this....

- Sammi with SUA lift, less than 4". (Use quality leafs that will flex.)

- 31 or 32" BFG Muds or MTR's

- 6 to 1's in the Transfer Case

- Lockrights or Detroits front and rear.

.......and like you said above, some killer rock protection and a winch to drag you to the places you couldn't drive. (You could do a Reciever-mount winch, so it's not visible, adding to the 'stocker' look.

I think that would be way cool. Sammis are small enough you don't need a huge tire. I think a similar setup would make people look twice when you take it places like Upper Helldorado.

With a smaller rig, you would really have to think about your lines and take you time in places, but I think being locked F & R and having killer gearing could get you alot of places, even with 32's.

rustybronco

Flat Land Offroader
Hey Demon, tell em where you and I have taken Oscar, or where I've taken an XJ with just 2 inches of lift and 31's! Did I hear Greg did the crack with a stock YJ? Demon and I saw a stock YJ go up Potato Salad without spinning a tire. I'd attempt Rattlesnake in my 2000 F150 if I wasn't worried about scraping some paint. Every Christmas I go to Phoenix where my grandpa and his old friends show me how it's done in totally stock samis and sidekicks. Ever notice how in Moab the old fart in the stiff CJ5 can go everywhere? Sure, I'm putting thousands of dollars into my Bronco so I can go places I couldn't go before. But there's something about wheeling a stock rig! Makes you think twice about your line, worry about clearances, and scares you to death you're going to break something out in the middle of nowhere. I think we've discussed this before. So I'd say go for building a "stock" sami. Focus on rock protection and some aggressive tires. Let your driving do the rest!

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I cant say that it is not a completely insano idea but I find it a lot funner to make it over things instead of worrying about getting the strap or the winch!! I truly think the novelty of the idea would wear off after the first 1 or 2 ledges you nose up to in moab and cant even get a tire on.....but hey that is just me!!:D

xjc

yer just jellous (spelling?) cuz, ... er ... shut up its my string and if you don't like it you can go somewhere else

(you think you would get some support or something from you big little brother?:mad: )

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
do it!!!! do it like you mean it!!! buy a mog buy a zuk buy a custom rock buggy just do something!!! :D thread is the correct jargon....not string......:D

and it is not just me that is raggin.....both your little brothers are raggin.....wanker delux is also your brother.....

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
(* see signiture *)

Go drive Sp's sammy for a while and see if its what you want, or if you want something entirly diffrent. Just ask around, most people are willing to let you drive their rig at least a little. I still lust after a commando (or maby one of those old broncos), but it just won't work for a student on a skimpy budget.

Wanker Delux

The Other Greg
Hey, I'm not saying don't do it. Actualy, go for it. It would be interesting to see what it could do... then what it could do after serious mods and the same 'bash the hell out of it' mentalitly. Prospects for a lot of fun. Just don't do much of that four hours into a trail, if something breaks, its a long walk back.:(

xjc

Thanks,

For the comments,

And for bringing this thread back to life. I realy haven't had a thread go two pages in general discussion and with a little padding like this I will be able to get there.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank everyone who has made this thread possible there-by contributing to my fragile self esteam.

Note: This thread was written way to Da?? early in the morning when I get to work

BlackSheep

baaaaaaaaaad to the bone
Supporting Member
Seems like the best vehicle for what you might be talking about is a sammy. Mostly because they are cheap, you could tow them with your red wagon (well, almost) and parts for them are still relatively cheap.

not to mention that they are amazing rock crawlers!!!

xjc

Nice one:rolleyes:

Well, except that if you lowered a sami and wanted to put in a chevy small block, all you would see through the windshield is valve coveres and the back of the block. Your transmission could double as an arm wrest in the mittle of the car. and your rear drive shaft would be two yokes butted together. To lengthen the rear drive shaft you could move everything foreward by removing that pesky radiatior and grill and maybe notch the front bumber to accoomodate the crank shaft pully. At that point your only concern is keeping it from tipping over frontward when you tap on the break with all the weight on the front. :p ;)

Just kidding, It wouldn't be that bad but with a solid front axle you don't have allot of verticle room in the engine compartment. the valve cover is only a few inches fron the lid as it is with the 1.3.

keep those Ideas comeing

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
I said it before and I will say it again....just buy the damned thing and then start on it!!! I seriously think you need to put some jap steel in the garage and then start thinking about everything else :)

I think there's a lot of fun on both sides of the nickel...and it depends on who you are wheelin' with and what the intent of the trip is. It can be VERY frusterating for everyone involved if you have 31s and no lockers and everyone else is locked, geared, running 35+" tires and they are having to strap your ass everywhere. Been there, done that.

However, the challenge of wheelin' a mostly stock rig is FUN if it is by choice, if you on the appropriate trail, and the others in your group are equally equipped and/or are cool with the challenge.

After I had my blazer, (33s, 396), sammy (locked, soa, 31s), when I had my cherokee (locked, slight lift, 30s) I spent a lot of time wheelin' for work in 1 of 4 stock '95 nissan pickups; shortbed, reg cab, 4cyl. I eventually put winches on two of the rigs. Had a lot of fun, but sometimes I NEEDED lower gears, bigger tires, lockers, etc. 50-100 mile stretches of right-of-way, several muddy/snowy gullies, have to chain up, cross, unchain, drive, repeat.

I've thought a lot about this type of rig lately, especially regarding daily drivers. I'd like to continue to refine my scrambler, but I also want a daily driver for exploring. I bought my burb to do this to some extent, and I have a little bit, but what I'd like to subject it to while exploring/light wheeling are just a little more than what I'm willing to, considering what I paid for it, and what I'm gonna need to get out of it in a couple years. ie, the dust and rattles that develop from washboard roads, dings in the running boards, scratches in the paint.

ARCA buggies are way cool, but you don't need them for 99% of wheelin'. Since I've had a trailer queen, (tho nowhere near a buggy) I haven't gone wheelin' near as often as I used to, not locally anyway.

I've got a sammy sitting in my parents back yard that I may or may not keep around to build just the kind of rig you speak of for my kids (soa, 6:1, 32s, lockrites, ladder)...kind of like ZUK's was (Ken Fransisco) back in the day.

Another good rig is the 4-runner...as discussed in another thread, very little is needed to make it a great wheeler. Slight lift, longfields, marlin, lockers, 35s, ladders, done.

Hell, you can take any YJ with a 4.0, slap waggy 44s under it with 5.13 gears, slap on a SYE, ladders if you go SOA, 35s, lockers and you are done.

For that matter, any '94+ dodge pickup is a good candidate (easy to lift, good running gear)

Personally, for my next dd, I'm thinking of a '94 td tahoe, D44 or 10bolt front w/ CTMs, fake 14 rear, 4.56 gears, eaton lockers, simple ladders, 37" MT/Rs, rocker protection, propane and exhaust treatment. (or maybe drop the compression from 21 to 18 and then up the boost and pump and really bring it alive) I figure I'd have a rig that could fit my growing family AND get 18-20mpg AND pull a popup trailer.

And keep the jeep for the nasty stuff (where body damage is imminent) or where it's just cool to have the windshield down.

Last edited: