Stockton Hills OHV Routes

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I noticed that the BLM is doing an inventory of OHV routes in the Stockton Hills with the purpose of designating routes.

Anyone in the Tooele area involved in this?

Looks like they have a Open House Public Meeting scheduled for 10/26 in Stockton.

The BLM Salt Lake Field Office is the agency in charge.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I saw a notice about it on the ENBB, but see nothing on the BLM's website.

I don't know what is there as far as trails go, I was hoping someone local to the area would jump on this.

Don B

formerly rebarguy
I tried to post a link to the ENBB page, but it wouldn't let me.

Contact person for the BLM is Roxanne Tea 801-977-4300

Open House Meeting Oct. 26th
Stocton Fire Dept.
207 N. Conner Ave.
Stockton, Utah
5:00 to 7:00 pm.

It looks like the same routes that some of the local land owners have favored and proposed in the past. The proposal includes closing a few cross country routes that passed through private property. Not sure about the exact loss of recreational opportunity. Tooele County Trails Committee has been actively involved in a lot of this area, and hopefully they have submitted input on this as well. Tacoma, what's the latest from TCTC? Are they taking back Utah or are we giving this part up?

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
I'll be there tonight.

A lot of those routes don't really go anywhere, and there is a lot of private property intermingled out there. The TCTC has submitted claims on this area as best I recall.

More later.

ret32

I'll be there tonight.

A lot of those routes don't really go anywhere, and there is a lot of private property intermingled out there. The TCTC has submitted claims on this area as best I recall.

More later.
Thanks Tacoma. Let us know how it goes.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
So, just got back from the meeting, and I have this to report:

this was more of an open house, meet-n-greet kind of thing, where the BLM reps showed the map of the routes in question, and got public opinion. I will post the link to submit more opinions at the end of the post.

The routes in question are basically most of the routes between the Jacob City road on the north, and SR73 on south, w/the mountains making up the eastern border, and SR36 making up the western border. The county has some interests in a couple north-south-running roads for fire control access, and the Jacob City route is in no danger, but many of these routes run up the bottom of the many ravines that run east to west.
As such, many of them are also redundant, and/or dead ends. It's my opinion that no routes of any compelling significance are at risk. That opinion is based on not only my knowledge of the area as a resident of Tooele County, but also on my conversations with the BLM reps. I quote "We just don't want it to end up looking like Five Mile Pass out there, and a lot of these routes are really redundant."

The BLM proposal for closure will come after this initial opinion-gathering phase... but as of now, I can't see much risk to continued access to this area.

Comments should be sent to the following address by NOVEMBER 9th. : ut_slfo_comments@blm.gov

For those familiar with them, the reps were Mike Nelson, Roxanne Tea, Cindy Ledbetter, and another guy whose name I didn't get. Roxanne and Cindy took the Tread Lightly class with Skylinerider and myself earlier this year and were pleased to hear my opinions of their plan. I think it's rational.

Anyway. Take a look at the map in the link a few posts up, and let them know what you think.