Storage for inner shafts

93yj

How are some of you keeping your spare inner axle shafts from rolling around underneath your seats while wheeling? I have been just putting them on the floor boards behind my front seats but I am afraid that if I was to roll they would be projectiles inside the cab. Any ideas or pics would be good.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I have used a couple different things in the past... I originally used round cardboard shipping tubes, shove spare rags and gloves in the ends and it doubled its value. Then I scored some missle tubes (~4" round with watertight seals) up at an Army surplus joint, they worked killer for tons of spare parts but I needed a place for all my shafts (I carry 2 fronts w/outers and 2 rear FF shafts). I figured I would get a peice of 6" PVC pipe, ~ 40" long and put a cap on both ends, one glued, one removable. I tried a couple different plumbing places, they all wanted to sell me a 20 footer at $150?? I needed something quick (was heading South that day) so I found a better option... a kids golf club bag. Easy to move (strap), easy to contain (has a zipper on the top), its bigger at the top (for the outer shafts & FF flanges). Works great :cool:

kirk86CJ

I got some 4" drain pipe from the plumbing supply place on 12300 south, and I'm gussing about 500 W - its about a mile west of the freeway. This drain pipe is thinner walled than normal PVC sprinkler pipe. I think I got 10' of pipe, and the ends for $20-$30. I glued one side, and put a threaded cap on the other end. Is is kinda bulky. I normally keep the shafts in the truck.

Kirk

fordy4

I like the golf club bag idea, never heard that one before. For the front shafts, I am currently using some conduit hold down clamps the size of the shafts and some sheet metal screws through the floor behind the front seats. Not a good idea if you care about your floor at all, but way cheap and easy.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
I've seen people use those poly brackets with a rubber 'strap' that you use to mount shovels and other yard tools to their trucks for axle shafts. Looked pretty cool to me.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Bud said:
Lowe's has that black PVC pipe for way cheap, nowhere near $150 cruiseroutfit was saying.

Both Lowes and Home Depot only had the 4" stuff, cheap... but I needed 6" for all 4 load shafts. The place that quoted me $150, was the plumbing place on Draper (123rd & ~6th W), though once again 4" would have been very little.

I thought about using Quickgrips to mount them somewhere, but I like them portable (so I don't leave them in the Cruiser year round), and covered so they don't get rust on em'. If I put them in on the trail, I don't want to do it half-assed and have to do them when I get home again.

neagtea

Supporting Member
I use old camp chair bags and put them on the floor behind the seats in the pass. footrest area. They also work good for the spare drivelines.

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Shawn said:
Get larger axles so you don't break...............:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

:eek: oh man..... someone is guna slam me for that one...:handlebars:

Wait I was with you when you took out a D60 outer shaft and the detroit along with it. ;) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Jeremy

total tacoma points: 162
reading this thread, i have decided that i dont like them sitting in the back of the cherokee under the spare tire. i think i am going to move them under the back seat, i may have to move some things that are not being used, but i think thay will fit. they should be very secure and not rattle or roll.