Strange Front Axle

Bullet

I was out at pic-n-pull Saturday and saw this old 71 Datsun 4X4 truck. I started looking at it and this was the front axle. I have never seen one like this. Any body know what it is? The truck was probably fun at one time, it had a small block ford with an overdrive automatic trans and a divorced Dana 20 or 300 transfer case. Thought I was cool.

Attachments

• global Hawk 033.jpg
    global Hawk 033.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 75
  • global Hawk 034.jpg
    global Hawk 034.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 44
  • global Hawk 035.jpg
    global Hawk 035.jpg
    46.3 KB · Views: 42
  • global Hawk 036.jpg
    global Hawk 036.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 57
  • global Hawk 037.jpg
    global Hawk 037.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 44
  • global Hawk 038.jpg
    global Hawk 038.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 39
  • global Hawk 039.jpg
    global Hawk 039.jpg
    55.4 KB · Views: 43

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Very interesting, can't say I've never seen one like it before. When did Datsun first come out with a 4x4 truck? I'm assuming this has to be a conversion?

kake

It looks as though it was designed so the manufacture could have the option of IFS or solid axle depending on which ends they put on.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
Bolt on axle tubes? Doesn't look particularly strong. Is that an IFS center section with bolt -on solid tubes? The diff cover says something. LOWMEG? That could lead somewhere.

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Kurt long time no see. I think the first 4x4 imported was in 84ish so this had to be converted.

It has been awhile, how have you been?

If anybody has an idea it would be Randy at Advances 4 Wheel Drive in SLC, they have been doing 4x4 conversions for 30+ years and I'm pretty sure they were doing a lot of Datsuns, LUV's and Toyotas in their early days, though I though they were using D30's out of Jeeps?

R

rockdog

It has been awhile, how have you been?

If anybody has an idea it would be Randy at Advances 4 Wheel Drive in SLC, they have been doing 4x4 conversions for 30+ years and I'm pretty sure they were doing a lot of Datsuns, LUV's and Toyotas in their early days, though I though they were using D30's out of Jeeps?
I owned the second one they converted. 74 Datsun with a dana 30 and divorced dana 20 case. :D

spencevans

Overlander
Low Manufacturing did these conversions back in the 70's and early 80's. Low MFG was located in Southern California and they converted Datsuns, Luv's, Courrier's, Mitsu/Dodge's, Toyota's and a few others I can't remember. Low usually used a Dana 30 front axle and a divorced Dana 20 transfercase. I have an article in an older magazine I read not to long ago, I will see if I can locate it.

Which yard is the truck in?

R

rockdog

Nice :cool: Post some pics!

I think I only took one picture of it the whole time I owned it. It is a regular pic. So with my total lack of anything remotely electronic skills. I could climb Mount Everest unassisted with no oxygen in nothing but a thong easier!:rofl:

i have two divorced dana 20. i picked this one up http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=699235 and picked up and other with a old AA adapter on it. this one posted has a flange but the one with the AA adapter on it has a solid 1310 yoke.

i was going to use them in a light buggy build ( still will ) but thats on hold. they use the same 6 spline input as the jeep so i could even run a 3.15 low range kit in it.

jason.