Street Legal OHV Insurance

1993yj

I haven’t seen this talked about in a while, and last I looked into it I couldn’t actually find a company to insure my Jeep like they would a RZR for being able to register it as a street legal OHV so I can drive it to trailheads. Has anyone had success here lately?

1993yj

When I inquired years ago, State Farm told me that they could not insure a Jeep for this use, even though it can be licensed for street legal ATV. In my mind it should be the same for them as they do an ATV that can be driven on the street, but they cant seem to wrap their mind around that.

At some point I also need to go to the DMV and see what will be required to change from OHV to street legal OHV, but trying to get the insurance portion figured our first as I know that is a requirement.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Mine is just insured as a Jeep CJ5, since that's what the VIN says it is. I have a normal Utah State title and it's registered as a OHV currently.

For you to get yours registered as a street legal OHV, you just need an inspection done for that registration type. Places like Jiffy Lube can do that. Then you take your current registration and the inspection certificate to the DMV and pay the fees and get the baby plate.

1993yj

Hmm. Maybe I have been going about this wrong then. When I switched to OHV registration I kept my VIN and title (I know not everyone does, gotta love the DMV and their standard practices), but when calling for insurance I have feeling companies that it is a jeep registered as a street legal ATV/OHV. Since it’s still titled as a 1993 Wrangler maybe that’s all I need to tell them. As long as when I get pulled over the handful of times I drive it on the street because the jeep looks like it doesn’t belong on the road, I have insurance to show the officer so that I am legal that is my main concern. If I ever were to get in an accident insurance would have loophole to get out of coverage since they will claim they didn’t think they were insuring an OHV.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
Hmm. Maybe I have been going about this wrong then. When I switched to OHV registration I kept my VIN and title (I know not everyone does, gotta love the DMV and their standard practices), but when calling for insurance I have feeling companies that it is a jeep registered as a street legal ATV/OHV. Since it’s still titled as a 1993 Wrangler maybe that’s all I need to tell them. As long as when I get pulled over the handful of times I drive it on the street because the jeep looks like it doesn’t belong on the road, I have insurance to show the officer so that I am legal that is my main concern. If I ever were to get in an accident insurance would have loophole to get out of coverage since they will claim they didn’t think they were insuring an OHV.

The loophole is exactly why I’ve kept mine “street legal”. I’m sure an insurance company will bend you (or me) over how ever you try to cover it. They are f*cking crooked b@stards

1993yj

Full hydro steering made staying street legal impossible. And really with what I use the jeep for OHV is great, but over the years it seems trailhead parking with a trailer has gotten harder, so the street legal ATV route has been appealing for driving short distances to trailheads.

reading through the safety inspection requirements though there are a few things I couldn’t pass if the safety shop has to apply everything just like for a RZR:
- can’t be over 70” wide, this includes the tires
- tires can’t be over 29” tall or larger than the manufacturer made available

I could get some Dodge take offs or something and get close to those items, but will still probably be a few inches past the limit.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Full hydro steering made staying street legal impossible. And really with what I use the jeep for OHV is great, but over the years it seems trailhead parking with a trailer has gotten harder, so the street legal ATV route has been appealing for driving short distances to trailheads.

reading through the safety inspection requirements though there are a few things I couldn’t pass if the safety shop has to apply everything just like for a RZR:
- can’t be over 70” wide, this includes the tires
- tires can’t be over 29” tall or larger than the manufacturer made available

I could get some Dodge take offs or something and get close to those items, but will still probably be a few inches past the limit.
I believe the tire size is for a different class. A full-size OHV is limited to something like 45" tires.

1993yj

That makes sense. I need to track down those safety requirement rules to make sure I can be compliant and then maybe I can pull this off legally.

RockChucker

Lol. Seems like you should be able to get a pretty penny for that boat no? I’ve heard boat prices are as ridiculous as pickup prices