Stripped XJ, stuck on a mountain

aerocorey

Blah
My buddy rolled his XJ last Sunday on a trail near Bountiful at the top of a mountain. It landed on its wheels and everyone inside walked away. It landed in a pretty rough spot and we broke the winch on the front of it trying to get it out. We had to leave it and come back for it today with the stuff we needed to fix the winch. We arrived at the site only to find that it had been stripped. Stereo, amp, speakers, CB radio... You name it, they took it. He forgot to take his tools out when we left it last week and the thieves used his tools to get his stuff. They took some of the tools with them and left the rest scattered under the hood with the carrying case. The most messed up part is they took the winch so we couldn't get it out. They also took the spare which is messed up because it has a flat. They took the battery, so we couldn't even start it to try and help the rig we tried pulling it out with. Now we're left with a totaled, completely dead rig that we couldn't get down the hill to the trailer we brought even if we had a way to get it out. People don't think about the consequences their actions have on other people. It makes me sick. If any of you know someone who just came into a winch with a broken off bolt in one side of the spool and a screw with a chewed up head in the other, kick them in the nuts for me. Hard. Twice. If the thief happens to read this, I hope you're happy with yourself. I also hope you find yourself at the mercy of a stranger someday and they screw you like you screwed us. Go steal yourself a dictionary and look up the word integrity.

Last edited:

zukking01

That sucks so bad man. I really feel for ya. The wors I had is a broken windoy will all stereo equipment and tools stolen twice. This dosent even compare to what happend. I hope you find those b#$%@*ds and put em 6 feet under.

aerocorey

Blah
If any of you know someone with a good rig we can use to pull the XJ out we'd appreciate some help. One tow company quoted him $2,700 to pull it out. The Jeep isn't worth that...

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
That completely sucks!!

I can possibly help you out today... I have a 16,500 lb Warn on my Rubicon. Between it and possibly an achor for me to hook up to (keep me from sliding down the hill) I'm sure we can get your buddies rig out of the canyon. And I'll do it for $1300! :D :eek: j/k Give me a call if you need my help, 407-4239. If we're going, I'd like to get up there before it gets too hot...

aerocorey

Blah
I can throw up a few pics if I can get them off the camera. Nothing more than a rolled XJ, though. Sure we've all seen one! We're all active duty Air Force and we work different shifts. No way we can get up there before the weekend. As far as an anchor goes, we have a crap load of tow straps between us and there are a few good trees up there, but we have been using a Suburban as our anchor.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
aerocorey said:
I can throw up a few pics if I can get them off the camera. Nothing more than a rolled XJ, though. Sure we've all seen one! We're all active duty Air Force and we work different shifts. No way we can get up there before the weekend. As far as an anchor goes, we have a crap load of tow straps between us and there are a few good trees up there, but we have been using a Suburban as our anchor.
Cool deal.. You have my number, use it if you need to.

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
waynehartwig said:
Cool deal.. You have my number, use it if you need to.

I could maybe wander out one evening this week also. (I still need to finish my fan rewiring and a couple other things, but they shouldn't take too long)

Taco4life

Sounds like a I just missed you and the thiefs I was up there on Friday and Tuesday... Sorry to hear about your misfortune that sucks a big one! I live a few blocks away from the "B" and will definately keep my eyes open. If you can post pictures or give a better description of where it is located I could maybe rally a few guys together to help you out.

aerocorey

Blah
My friend is pretty much writing off everything that was in or on the Jeep as well as the Jeep itself. (the unibody is tweaked) I think we have the recovery party pretty well laid out, but anyone who wants to spectate is obviously welcome since it's on a public trail. Anyone who wants to spectate and happens to bring along an all cloth tow strap we can borrow for the recovery is extra welcome. It's looking like we may not have enough to reach the Jeep and pay day isn't until Monday!

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
aerocorey said:
My friend is pretty much writing off everything that was in or on the Jeep as well as the Jeep itself. (the unibody is tweaked) I think we have the recovery party pretty well laid out, but anyone who wants to spectate is obviously welcome since it's on a public trail. Anyone who wants to spectate and happens to bring along an all cloth tow strap we can borrow for the recovery is extra welcome. It's looking like we may not have enough to reach the Jeep and pay day isn't until Monday!
When you doing that? I've got some time this evening, but after that I'm in Amer. Fork Canyon for the service project for the weekend. I've also got a little recovery gear and a fair amount of recovery experience.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
I think it's happening early Saturday morning, unless their plans have changed since we talked Tuesday. I'm hoping to have it exctracted by noon, before it starts getting hot, and still have time to make RME for UROC! :D

I have a 75' cable on my winch, 30' tow strap, 6' tow strap and two 10'? recovery chains. Stress I'm not too woried about, becaues I've bene told the Jeep is on it's wheels, so I will just simply be winching it up a hill, which shouldn't be too difficult. We also don't know what vandals have been up to since last weekend....It's apparent they are very active up there. I also have a friend going, which also has some recovery equipment - of course I'm not sure what he has.

aerocorey

Blah
Ya, still planning on bright and early Saturday morning. Between your winch lead, your tow strap, your chains, my 2 tow straps, the tow straps the guy who owns the Jeep should be getting, the various ropes we all have, and the 2 chains we will be bringing I'm betting we have it covered! We have a 2500 Suburban and a full size Bronco for anchors, and I'm thinking about bringing up the WJ just to sit there and look good since it doesn't weigh enough to be useful. lol

The XJ in question was on its wheels with a couple of flats when we left it. The only way it could be worse than before is if someone actually took the tires it was sitting on, rolled it onto its side, or burned it. We've logged about 8 hours at the wreck under the hot sun over the last few weeks looking like a bunch of monkeys doing a math problem. I want to get out of there while it's still cool. We're going up next to the "B" in Bountiful. I'll put up a time tomorrow if anyone's interested. Should be good to watch if nothing else.

Devel

Just an Outlaw....
where did u roll it??? and if u were going sunday id be all over it man i got a 12k winch on my TJ and i know bountiful pretty good, i pulled that other XJ out up there

TooRisky

THe ***** of it is that we know it is some people in the 4x4 community, and yet still happens even when they know what they are doing... I say it falls under horse thieving and they should hang on the spot thet are cought at.

waynehartwig

www.jeeperman.com
We went up and pulled it out...

Here's me hooked onto it. I drove down the side of the hill and hooked onto it while others were hooked onto me:
4X4ing20060729_005.jpg

The long line back up top where the others were anchored...
4X4ing20060729_009.jpg

The others back on top that I was attached to...
4X4ing20060729_011.jpg

Had this guy drive down this steep a&& hill so I could put a snatch block on him and then to the rolled XJ - afterwards, I ended up pulling him up the hill, too...
4X4ing20060729_012.jpg

XJ crests the hill...
4X4ing20060729_013.jpg

A look from below up...
4X4ing20060729_014.jpg

Back on top making it road worthy (tires, etc)....
4X4ing20060729_017.jpg