Stronger ball joints? Dana 44

yellowbronco

Cuts Through Grease !!!
I've always run the Moog ball joints, don't think there are any really more beefy ones out there...but I could be wrong. :)

RockChucker

i'm not 100% sure about this, but i know that dynatrac makes ball joints, they are rebuildable and will cost you an arm and at least one leg, but they are pretty cool. not sure on strength, and i'm not 100% they have a d44 version. i know for sure they have a 60 version though

skippy

Pretend Fabricator
In my front axle I am running the MOOGs.....If you are wheeling a dana 44 hard you can pretty much bet on replacing ball joints every 1-2 years but they have a lifetime warranty so its not a big deal

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
On my last buggy (D44's and 38" SX's) I initially ran Moogs and was changing them at least once a year. I decided to switch to Spicers and they would last longer and seemed like they were only a little bit more expensive.

No matter how light the rig, big tires chew up d44 ball joints. I just got really good at changing them along with other regular maintenance.

kmboren

Recovering XJ owner anonymous
I've never had much luck with the moog brand either :-\ I have found the NAPA gold brand to be pretty awesome in ball joints and rod ends.
I have replaced a lot of Moogs with my Dana 30 and 33s. I am going to try the Napas when I replace my 30 with a rubicon 44. The Moogs seemed to wear out fast and the Napas appeared to have a different better design and are lifetime warranty I believe.

gorillaxj

Always building hardly wheeling
I don't know to much about other prices or brands. I have always used spicer ball joints. but I was looking on line for some and ended up buying them from advanced 4x4 in SLC for $65 a pair.( was seeing about $60-$80 a pair online) I had my flat top knuckles off and there to be machined and they threw them in for $10. I can do them but for that price its worth saving myself the effort lol.

Don't forget to tourqe the preload sleeve.

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Thanks for the info.. Herzog did you have them just wear out or did you have some break .. I'd hate to be going fast through some whoops and.. Die

I never let them get bad enough to break... I kept a good eye on them. If they started to get loose I'd be sure to change them out during any downtime within the next few trips.

zukijames

Okay so it's not like I'll put a brand new one in and have it break in Hal first bump I hit?And by bump i really mean small jump

Last edited:

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
Okay so it's not like I'll put a brand new one in and have it break in Hal first bump I hit?And by bump i really mean small jump

Nah, I doubt that. Ball joints are stronger than they get credit for. I'm betting that most failures are due to excessive wear or knuckle damage.