Stupid Scout

wrnchplr

free loader!!
I am helping a buddy get his 75 scout running. Here is the problem...

it has an electric fuel pump.

after driving for a few minutes it will stall out, it's not getting gas. now if I take the gas line off and blow into it (going back to tank) there is allot of restriction then something gives and it's easy to blow bubbles in the tank...
now the truck will sit and run fine, also took of the gas line turned the pump on and filled a 5 gallon gas can...anytime it is moving this will happen....I think there is something in the tank plugging the gas line, there is a hitch welded to the frame that I don't want to cut off to pull the tank if I don't have to...ANY IDEAS??????

thanks in advance for any help....

Sounds like gunk in the tank maybe. If it's the original tank and it's never been cleaned then maybe. The tank is held in by 2 straps that are attached at the rear with threaded hooks. You should be able to see the nuts, unless the hitch is completely blocking the way. You can just cut the metal straps and replace them to drop the tank.

wrnchplr

free loader!!
got the tank out and it is super clean inside, I pumped 10 gals. of gas while the truck was sitting. put it all back and it keeps stalling. same problem. replaced all the fuel lines while the tank was out...any ideas???
Thanks Dave

78mitsu

if it's a rubber hose in the tank it could be sucking itself to the bottom of the tank?try cutting it into a vee and see if that helps.

wrnchplr said:
got the tank out and it is super clean inside, I pumped 10 gals. of gas while the truck was sitting. put it all back and it keeps stalling. same problem. replaced all the fuel lines while the tank was out...any ideas???
Thanks Dave

All of 'em from tank to carb? Micro cracks can occur in the old plastic lines that'll suck air.

wrnchplr said:
it has the stock 2 bbl...the carb was replaced..it almost acts like a vapor lock, I didn't think that could happen when its 50 out side..

Is the tank properly vented? Try and run it with the gas cap off, and see.

wrnchplr

free loader!!
Broncoman said:
where is the pump located? It should be as close to the tank as poss. An electric pump is designed to push rather than pull ...

The pump is mounted under the hood. It will pump just fine. only have the problem when driving..

wrnchplr said:
The pump is mounted under the hood. It will pump just fine. only have the problem when driving..

Yeah, a problem of not having enough gas. I'd relocate the pump to the passenger frame rail right next to the tank.

Broncoman

I have worked in the auto buis. for 30 years ... I have seen the same problem several times ... because of the location of the pump the preassure will drop off when hooked up to the carb under preasure. The elec' pump is made to push not pull. When it starts working hard sucking from the other end of the car it cavitates making air bubbles and loosing prime. Acting as though it runs out of gas ... the pump will get weaker and weaker eventually burning out the motor on the pump... I now work in the parts sales end of the buisness ... we get several pumps in a mo. that have been mounted wrong .... if it is known that the pump was mounted in the position that you say yours is I can't warranty that pump.