Subaru reliability?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Anyone have experience owning or repairing Subarus? I'm contemplating buying an older WRX, looking at something with over 100k miles. The last thing I want is a money pit or a car that is going to be an ongoing repair project.

I'm looking at one that is for sale locally and it looks well maintained, which seems to make all the difference. It's an '04 with 124k, recently had a timing belt, etc. I would hate to get ride of my incredibly reliable & efficient TDI Jetta (which is paid off!) and end up with an expensive, gas guzzling sports car that isn't super reliable.

Any input?

Greg

Admin
I'll just leave this here: http://www.factoryfive.com/kits/project-818/

Browse the links on the left, and dream.....

While that is AMAZING!!!.... I don't think I want to commute in a open topped car... especially if there is a dirt road involved. :p Neat kit for sure, I would love to see on in person!

We're back to thinking about building on our property... I need a commuter capable of driving 10 miles of dirt road, as part of a 35 mile, one way drive.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
I have now had 1 Subaru that I sold at 210K.. she sold it to her friend a couple of years later and it is still going.. I also own 2 other subaru's currently both with over 170K... well one of them does have a totally rebuilt engine due to the previous owner being unable to check the oil...

If it has had the Timing belt done recently and has actually been taken care of it will keep running forever :).. at about 150K it will start to burn a little oil on start-up all of mine have at least but nothing to complain about :)

Cascadia

Undecided
I've only had low mileage subarus but my cousin has had 2 imprezas and they both have had over 200k and no issues other than doing timing belts a general maintenance. I think it really depends on who owned it. I wouldn't buy one from anyone under 25 yes old. Mostly because I know how I drove at that age.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
Let me know if you decide to get rid of that Jetta.... :D

I've been hedging about Subarus for a while now. I think I'm convinced to get one, just haven't found one I want yet: manual wagon w/the right maintenance done.

Greg

Admin
I have now had 1 Subaru that I sold at 210K.. she sold it to her friend a couple of years later and it is still going.. I also own 2 other subaru's currently both with over 170K... well one of them does have a totally rebuilt engine due to the previous owner being unable to check the oil...

If it has had the Timing belt done recently and has actually been taken care of it will keep running forever :).. at about 150K it will start to burn a little oil on start-up all of mine have at least but nothing to complain about :)

I've only had low mileage subarus but my cousin has had 2 imprezas and they both have had over 200k and no issues other than doing timing belts a general maintenance. I think it really depends on who owned it. I wouldn't buy one from anyone under 25 yes old. Mostly because I know how I drove at that age.

Thanks guys, I have no problem with a little smoke with high miles. I just don't want to be rebuilding an engine within 10-20k miles after buying it.

Let me know if you decide to get rid of that Jetta.... :D

I've been hedging about Subarus for a while now. I think I'm convinced to get one, just haven't found one I want yet: manual wagon w/the right maintenance done.

There is already someone ahead of you asking about the Jetta... :eek: That should be a sign to me... keep it!

248k miles and it still runs very well and pulls down 45+ MPG!

Greg

Admin
Keep the jetta....

It wouldn't like the dirt road commute... hence, thinking about a WRX. If we end up building on and moving to our property, the daily round trip commute would involve 20 miles of dirt roads. The Jetta isn't really a dirt road car, even more so when you consider winter conditions on the dirt road.

JL Rockies

Binders Fulla Expo
If I were looking at a used WRX, anything with pillar mount gauges would be off the list. Same way I wouldn't buy a used 4x4 with a lift kit installed.

Greg

Admin
If I were looking at a used WRX, anything with pillar mount gauges would be off the list. Same way I wouldn't buy a used 4x4 with a lift kit installed.

Yep, I've got the same train of thought. The one I'm interested is very lightly modified, not much more than a cold air intake.

74highboy

the wrx is known to throw rods at 100k if it has been maintained like they should they will last a long time

what bothers me about subarus is every time someone brings one into the shop i work at and you pull the factory service intervals out they say well its a subaru they last forever i dont need to do this

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I've been a Subaru fan from day one--most of my experience with them comes from the EA81 and EA82's though lol. I've wanted a newer model like the WRX and Impreza Outback Sport for a long time, but for now I'm stuck with the Subaru wanna be aka Honda CRV :p Subaru's have charm you won't ever know until you own one.

Like all Subaru's don't overheat them or they spit head gaskets. And obviously let the turbo cool down before killing the engine.

You know if you let the TDI go you won't find another for a decent price in our lifetime right? Killer deals on Subaru's are everywhere--TDI jettas not so much :D

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
I'm on my third and fifth subaru right now.
As long as you stay OBD2 or newer, you'll likely be fine.
Even for the WRX, JDM motors are easy to find, and not too hard to afford, worst case scenario.
They are pretty easy and intuitive to work on, things like hose clamps on the fuel fill tubes are positioned so you can get to the screw, even th they were assembled before installation.
My wife's car has 230K on it, bought it at 179K. I put a motor in it earlier this year since I didn't want to replace the head gaskets on a motor that worn. Easy to swap, everything was just intuitive. Other than the motor (which was a choice, I could have replaced the popped headgaskets) it's only needed maintenance. I paid dirt for it, and it's never let me down till she overheated. That was a bad week.

I'm not sure if the WRX has the same trouble with the turbo as the legacy GT cars, but they have a filtered bolt on the oil feed to the turbo that's know to fail, destroying the turbo and spewing debris into the oil pan, and then into the rest of the motor. Check into that. You may also want to think about upgrading the suspension bushings if you are going to see that much dirt. There is supposedly a reason the STI cars come with better bushings and aluminum control arms.

That said, I'd run one in heartbeat. Open the exhaust, and a mild tune can get you 30MPG highway if you drive conservatively. I love both of the cars i have now... the fourth subie was a 92 SVX that had been abused for most of it's life, and I just lost patience with it. Say away from the boutique ones, and you'll be able to find parts all over, when you need them... and that won't be often.

Last edited:

Cascadia

Undecided
when we were in island park, Idaho this last fall, our cabin can be gotten to by pavement or dirt road. I had my wrx wagon and I always chose the couple mile dirt road. It was a blast and very smooth. Hope I have another this year to take up there.

A lot of the time, with a CAI on a wrx it throws a CEL. I think it usually depends on the brand though. If you get it tuned with it though there shouldn't be a problem.

Last edited:

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
First off.... I would like to place myself in line for the TDI :D

Second I know a few avid subi fans, from what they have told me, non-turbo subi's if somewhat maintained last 200-300k, turbo charged subi's if not maintained go to crap real fast, if maintained good to around 150k

Johnny Quest

Web Wheeler
^yup. id never buy a used WRX or STI cause it was most likely beat to hell by some kid, and then when stuff started going wrong, they put on band-aids and tried to sell it. ive got an 08 Legacy now and love it. cruises great, pretty good one gas (it is awd afterall), and has been reliable for the 16k ive put on it in the last 6 months

i rebuild subaru engines for a living, and am a subaru expert/guru and honestly i have very mixed feelings on recommending WRXs.
if you would like me to give you a run down on subaru pros and cons, call me sometime 801-200-7100. all in all, i would probably say dont buy a wrx..