Suburban 2500, 454

ewander

Who out there tows with a Vortec 454 Suburban? What are your towing and driving impressions? What about durability of the engine and transmission?

I currently have a 95 Dodge 3/4 T 12 CTD that I really enjoy, but even with the extended cab I am a little short on room for my family. It tows great and I have zero complaints about it, other than the room.

Thanks,

Eric

Who out there tows with a Vortec 454 Suburban? What are your towing and driving impressions? What about durability of the engine and transmission?

I currently have a 95 Dodge 3/4 T 12 CTD that I really enjoy, but even with the extended cab I am a little short on room for my family. It tows great and I have zero complaints about it, other than the room. Thanks, Eric

How big is your family?

I had a '99 K2500 454. Loved it...but now I have a diesel excursion (love it).

The tranny is tough. So is the engine. I had an issue with the engine...but it wasn't really the engine's fault. They ALL have intake gasket leaks, and when I had mine fixed, they got coolant in the oil, didn't change it, and the crank burned up. It pulled well, but needed the RPM's to maintain speed on the hills.

I also had brakes that were happy to warp, and the PS system was starting to spring leaks when I sold it. I didn't have any other issues though.

If you can still fit in it on the jeepin' trips, I'd keep the cummins. If you need more room, the burb (or excursion) is the way to go. You can also get a burb with the 6.5td, and you'll get a lot better mileage than the 9-11mpg that I got with the 454, though with out the zoom zoom.

Last edited: