suburban 2500

tommie

We currently have a Ford Expedition which can't tow the trailer we want to buy. With our family size, we are looking into Suburban 2500's. Any years or engines we should steer clear of? We know nothing of these vehicles other than they are gas hogs. I believe they have a tow rating of 12,000lb. Thanks.

Not sure what years you are looking for. The 5.7 liters are kindof pigs by modern standards - hopeully you are looking for something newer. 5.3 liter is fairly anemic for towing anything sizeable. The 6.0 liter is the ticket for towing, although like you say, they are gas hogs.

I've had a few over the years. The 2007-up years handle much nicer than the earlier ones if they are in your price range. Lots less wallowing and flex.

Crankylove

Crankylove
My brother had a 4X4 '99 2500 with the 7.4 and 4.10's. It pulled a 28' enclosed tripple axle trailer at about 10,000 lbs quite a few times, and did it quite well. The milage sucked, city or highway, fully loaded with the trailer or traveling with just the driver, it would hover between 10-12 mpg. He bought it used, and had it 5 years and put about 65,000 miles on it, but did have to replace the fuel injectors and put new bearings in the rear end, other than that is was just normal maintainance. It was quite comfy (heated leather FTW!) and had plenty of room for his family of 7.

rholbrook

What year Expedition? I have a 2008 that is rated at 9,200 lbs and I have towed near that with it with no issues. I do have the air suspension under it which is wonderful. When I bought it I ordered it with the higher (numerically) gears so I could pull with it.

Chevycrew

I vote for a newr with the 6.0L, if you want better mileage, and comfy, that is the ticket.

6.0L is good for about 18 if you are easy on it.

ID Bronco

I vote for a newr with the 6.0L, if you want better mileage, and comfy, that is the ticket.

6.0L is good for about 18 if you are easy on it.

I really like my 6.0 in my 2000 suburban. I have never gotten anywhere near 18 with it though. (what am I doing wrong?) I really respect Chevycrews opinion so I do want some pointers.

It tows my 20ft trailer with my Bronco pretty well. It's no diesel up hills and such, but does allright. Towing I get about 8-9mph but all six of us fit well. Mine doesn't seem super fast empty, it's a heavy rig but my wife likes it and it hasn't been bad with repairs.

I, too, think 18 is a pipe dream with the 6.0. I can just barely get that with my 5.3 if I stay below 80 mph and no trailer. I'd like to hear how if anyone else can do that.

tommie

It's a 2003 and it's rated at 8700 lb. We blew a head gasket the first time we towed over the mountian with a trailer that only weighted 7000lb and had costly repairs.

tommie

Not sure what years you are looking for. The 5.7 liters are kindof pigs by modern standards - hopeully you are looking for something newer. 5.3 liter is fairly anemic for towing anything sizeable. The 6.0 liter is the ticket for towing, although like you say, they are gas hogs.

I've had a few over the years. The 2007-up years handle much nicer than the earlier ones if they are in your price range. Lots less wallowing and flex.
We're looking for a 2004 or newer. Paying cash so don't want to go to high in price since we're financing the trailer, which is brand new. Wife wants one with leather, dvd player and all the bells and whistles. I want something that can tow, isn't going to break down or have loads of issues.

tommie

What year Expedition? I have a 2008 that is rated at 9,200 lbs and I have towed near that with it with no issues. I do have the air suspension under it which is wonderful. When I bought it I ordered it with the higher (numerically) gears so I could pull with it.
It's a 2003 and it's rated at 8700 lb. We blew a head gasket the first time we towed over the mountian with a trailer that only weighted 7000lb and had costly repairs.

ALF

SURE!?
The 6.0 in my 03 crewcab 1500hd is getting 11.7 ave. mpg right now while commuting best i've ever got around town is 12.6... towing my Blazer to Moab I got 10 or so...I'd love to get 15 ...18 would be stupendous!!

Toad

I would say 7.3 excursion. But you want cheap mantaince. The 6.0 chevy is not bad. Cheap to work on. I have heard of a few guys loosing bearings on the bottom end. Might consider finding a 8.1 liter. Harder to find but either way you going to get bad mpg"s. So you might as well go for power also.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
Diesel for towing. Although I wouldn't say what I have fits what you want. I rock the old school 6.5 Turbo diesel 2500 sub and I can honestly say I love it. It's slow and doesn't accelerate for anything I got an average of 15.4 MPG towing my TJ to moab + st George twice + rattlesnake a bunch and I get about 17 MPG unloaded. 18 was my best but that was all highway

tommie

I would say 7.3 excursion. But you want cheap mantaince. The 6.0 chevy is not bad. Cheap to work on. I have heard of a few guys loosing bearings on the bottom end. Might consider finding a 8.1 liter. Harder to find but either way you going to get bad mpg"s. So you might as well go for power also.
There's a '04 burb with 8.1 liter for sale in my area. thinking of looking into it. looked at excursions for 3 months and all of them were trashed. too bad ford doesn't make them anymore.

tommie

Diesel for towing. Although I wouldn't say what I have fits what you want. I rock the old school 6.5 Turbo diesel 2500 sub and I can honestly say I love it. It's slow and doesn't accelerate for anything I got an average of 15.4 MPG towing my TJ to moab + st George twice + rattlesnake a bunch and I get about 17 MPG unloaded. 18 was my best but that was all highway
We were looking for an excursion diesel for starters but couldn't find any we liked. If we get a suburban, it will be newer and they are no longer diesels.

Plus, it will mainly be wifes vehicle so she wants something comfy.

ID Bronco

There's a '04 burb with 8.1 liter for sale in my area. thinking of looking into it. looked at excursions for 3 months and all of them were trashed. too bad ford doesn't make them anymore.

I have the 6.0 and for the lack of mileage I would rather have the 8.1. They are tough to find in a suburban, they pull hard but you are in the 8mph range while towing! That would be my choice if doing it again.