Suburban Build Best Years

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
So I want to build a Large Suv for my wife. And need some advise on best years to work with. What I want to do is a mild lift and propane conversion.

Must be auto transmission.
manual shift transfer case and hubs.
Have A/C and power windows.
Easy conversion to Propane for dual fuel.

So What years are the best to look for. Pros vs. Cons. I like anything classic but really want good A/C and power options and something I don't have to restore just modify. And something that is not a pig I want it to move. Any Idea?

Dan

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
You thought wrong, both of you.

87 was the first year for TBI, and in fact, most of the actual 87's I've seen have a weird 1/2 serpentine, 1/2 V-belt setup, if that matters to you. In 1988, they went to the "new" body style and IFS for the trucks-- Blazers and Burbs, and the HD trucks were "old" body style.

1991 was the last year of the boxy body style, though. :D

I would get a post-87 Burb, and forget about propane. Run the TBI, throw a 4" lift and some 1-tons under it, and you're good to go... with EVERYONE inside! :D For extra points and utility, you could bob the body and use Blazer windows in the back, but bodywork is hard and expensive. :D :D

THe weight makes them flex pretty well, I really like mine. It's so big that you stay off trails that are bad enough to get you into trouble, and it's nice to have the: extra wheelbase on steep hills, the extra cargo capacity, the extra cargo capacity, and the extra cargo capacity. And I'll throw in the 38gal factory tank option too. Hurts at the pump but it's nice to cruise with. :D

ATOYA4U

Cheating is trying!!
The only con I can think of is the frame. But if you box it or reinforce it you will be good to go. I've had 2 blazers and that was the only real down fall. I loved the room and blazers on 44's kick ass!:D

lowe1974

mbryson's butcher
Why propane? I may be off on the years a bit, but some 87 and all 88-93(I think) had solid front axles and TBI. Those would be my choice.

Propane because it is cheap and eco friendly. If you get a carbed vehicle for durability it is cheap to convert and have "fuel injection" That 38 gallons a fuel does hit the wallet but propane is more than half the price. I really like the size and I want something my wife will be happy to drive to a cabin in any weather full of supplies.
So after 1991 they went to IFS? or did the body style just change?
1987 started TBI fuel injection?
I forgot to say I lake the barn door rear doors too.

jesse

Masshole
those years are correct but i'm pretty sure your not supposed to mount propane tanks inside a passenger compartment, so what would you do about that? roof mount? your not supposed to mount them underneath either they need to be able to vent straight to the atmosphere without the propane getting trapped in a pocket somewhere if something happened to the tank

mbryson

.......a few dollars more
Supporting Member
You can buy a half built or way built Sub for cheap. Check the "Rockcrawlers" section on KSL. I saw two in there today. I think one was 'one ton' and had some 38" tires on it already. Body was a little thrashed on, but might be good with some paint? You'll run across a few REALLY nice ones at times for quite reasonable prices.

'87-91 will be TBI and solid front axle. I like the barn doors models, but at this point I wouldn't be too choosy and just find something that hasn't been trashed.

'92-current is IFS. Not a bad truck, but not a good one for me.

They really are good rigs. Dead nuts simple. Cheap and you can buy parts for them ANYWHERE.