Suggested places to camp along (Notom/Burr Trail)

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Ok.. So I am headed down to run HTR in a few weeks with few friends and I decided since I can leave early on Wednesday I wanted to explore Capitol Reef a bit and then camp maybe 2 hours from halls crossing somewhere along the Notom/Burr trail.. This is where the waters become murky.. I am looking for a nice somewhat secluded spot along the way but don't want to spend an hour searching while I am out there... It will be just me and my eldest sleeping in the back of the Jeep so it doesn't have to be nice smooth sand or anything to sleep on. just scenic and not the side of the road :ugh:

So anyone have any suggestions with some directions (GPS coords are the best)?

TimB

Homesick
I like the little spurs I've circled. GREAT view, very few people. It's outside the park so I think it's open for camping.

Camping.jpg

TimB

Homesick
Tomorrow I can. I don't have the hard drive it's on here. It's a side loop off the notom road, there is an old airstrip there. I can get GPS and more detail tomorrow.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
How far South do you want to go? If not too far, you could camp in the same area we stayed in. A few weeks ago we camped 12-13 miles down Notom road from Hwy 24, in the area of Sandy Ranch, towards the Capitol Reef NP. We turned right on Oak Creek Canyon and headed towards the park. My GPS indicated that we camped right close to the border of the park, but still outside of it.

It was a great spot, no major roads or rural homes nearby. We heard the coyotes at night, so it was remote enough for them.

You've probably seen this already, but the visual clues will help if you decide to stay there.-

http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showpost.php?p=586971&postcount=1

TimB

Homesick
Here's a little better details:

camping-1.jpg

And here are a few pic's from the spot. This is south of the Burr Trail junction, along waterpocket fold. Let me know if that is of interest and you would like GPS coordinates. I'll have to fire up another computer to get those if you need them.

DSCN2015.jpg

DSCN2026.jpg

DSCN2024.jpg

DSCN2023.jpg

DSCN2027.jpg

This is a high ridge, and probably very chilly if the weather is not warm. Wide sweeping views.

TimB

Homesick
Note the GPS coordinates around the edge of the map - that should get you in the neighborhood. The best spot is the one near the end of the runway. The furtherest north spot has an interpretive panel and probably gets more visitors - not the best spot to stop but possible the best view.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
Sweet.. Thanks guys.. anymore out there? I really like where you stayed Greg I will at least have to go up that direction to see the sights :)