Suggestions for things to do in Kauai

Caleb

No, I haven't searched the net yet but I thought I would post up and get some suggestions of things that are must do's while in Kauai, HI. I'll be there in November if that matters. :greg:

Rusted

Let's Ride!
Supporting Member
It has been years. But the Napali coast line trail was incredible. I think that is how it is spelled. It was a cool hike to a very cool beach.

TELFORD

its a work in progress
check with WildKid, he lived over there for a few years. I think he was on big Island, but I am sure he could help.

DOSS

Poker of the Hornets Nest
If you take me with you it will be a lot better than going without me :) (at least for me) HEHE

Caleb

what's SOB? Yeah, I'll have my wife with me and my little brother and his wife. We're staying in Princeville but we will also have a car so we can get around farely easily.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
rusted said:
It has been years. But the Napali coast line trail was incredible. I think that is how it is spelled. It was a cool hike to a very cool beach.

x2 We hiked the Nepali, it's incredible. I'd highly recommend it, but bring a comfy pair of shoes that you don't mind if they get ruined. The mud on the trail will stain nearly anything.

There's pics in my 'Married' thread.

Some of the things we didn't do, but really wanted to were to paddle up one of the many rivers. You can go on guided tours and spend all day making your way up one of the rivers. We wanted to Scuba, or Snuba if you're not certified (we aren't). A boat ride out into the ocean would be cool, I think you'd be missing the whales though. They were breaching when we were there in the spring.

Also, I really wanted to explore the Waimea Canyon much more. It's a huge place, simply amazing. We hiked around there for half a day & found some neat things, aquaducts that were probably 50 yrs old, lush, green forests, etc. There was a dirt road that dropped down into the canyon & crossed the river. I was so tempted to take the rental TJ down there, but Catherine was worried.

Besides all that, eat out a lot. We found some great little resturants, one of them had a live Hawaiian guitarist who entertained while you ate dinner. :cool:

Kauai is awesome, definatley my favorite Hawaiian island.

Caleb

Greg said:
x2 We hiked the Nepali, it's incredible. I'd highly recommend it, but bring a comfy pair of shoes that you don't mind if they get ruined. The mud on the trail will stain nearly anything.

There's pics in my 'Married' thread.

Some of the things we didn't do, but really wanted to were to paddle up one of the many rivers. You can go on guided tours and spend all day making your way up one of the rivers. We wanted to Scuba, or Snuba if you're not certified (we aren't). A boat ride out into the ocean would be cool, I think you'd be missing the whales though. They were breaching when we were there in the spring.

Also, I really wanted to explore the Waimea Canyon much more. It's a huge place, simply amazing. We hiked around there for half a day & found some neat things, aquaducts that were probably 50 yrs old, lush, green forests, etc. There was a dirt road that dropped down into the canyon & crossed the river. I was so tempted to take the rental TJ down there, but Catherine was worried.

Besides all that, eat out a lot. We found some great little resturants, one of them had a live Hawaiian guitarist who entertained while you ate dinner. :cool:

Kauai is awesome, definatley my favorite Hawaiian island.
good info, man it sounds like we could spend a month there and barely scratch the surface :cool: I hope to be able to rent a TJ (or atleast a 4wd suv) so we can get a little farther out there than you could in a rental car. I think I have a TON of reading to do on this stuff.

The hiking, exploring, finding black sanded beaches is what I would love to do on this trip. A few years ago we went on our honeymoon to Oahu and did the tourist thing there and not nearly as much exploring as I would liked to have done :cool: Should be a good time, keep the ideas coming :D

rrefx

I lived there for 5 months, all are good suggestions. The Napali is great, short and long hikes, I preffered the hike from the north side, I can't remember the name of the town anymore. The Barking Sands side is also nice, but I didn't think it was as nice. You can also rent a kayak and paddle inland upstream near Lihui and see some beautiful scenery. Scuba Diving is fair on Kauai, but I thought it was better on the big island, although; I may have just not been hitting the right spots. Sport fishing is fantastic there, but expensive. Still well worth the price when you reel in a marlin. There's a fun shopping plaza in Kapaa which the wife will enjoy, but beware of the pearl vendors, I didn't escape them.

Have fun, and in November be prepared for rain.

Ryan

JDT92XJ

The best thing we did was a helicopter ride. $$$ but well worth it. We also did a boat ride to the Napali coast(helicopter takes you over it) and snorkled on popui beach. The best island by far. Have fun!

MattL

When I went, I went and sat through a time share thing. Had to say no to it like 5 times. In the long run, got a buy one get one free helicopter ride, a free snorkel trip up the nepali coast, and some deal on a lu aho ( spelling) at the marriot.

The helicopter ride was honestly probably the coolest. We also hike the hike at the end of the road to the large large water fall. If i was to do it again, Id do the same hike but the long one and stay on the beach a couple of days. If you do that you hvae to get a permit prior. Also saw a pair of endangered seals on our boat ride. the operator said that in the 15 years he driven the boat, he had never seen one that close. true or not dunno but was cool none the less.

Oh yea.. happy hour is grand.. make sure to stir the mai-tai

chip83cj7

try to go to fern gratto I probubly spelled it wrong but its not hard to find and you can wind surf while your in that side of the island (east side)

Catherine

Mrs. Gardner
Make sure that you know what the beach is like where you are staying. Most of the beaches are rocky and will be hard if your planning on laying out. I would also do kayaking at the beginning before you get sunburned...as you will be in the sun mostly the whole time. We also ate at a place right on the main road that had the best kalua pork... It was right before you get to the napali coast... fun little laid back town.

Like greg said I wish that we went snuba diving.

bring lots of money for food.

I lived on oahu and have visited maui out of those three island kauai is by far the most beautiful.

Caleb

Catherine said:
Make sure that you know what the beach is like where you are staying. Most of the beaches are rocky and will be hard if your planning on laying out. I would also do kayaking at the beginning before you get sunburned...as you will be in the sun mostly the whole time. We also ate at a place right on the main road that had the best kalua pork... It was right before you get to the napali coast... fun little laid back town.

Like greg said I wish that we went snuba diving.

bring lots of money for food.

I lived on oahu and have visited maui out of those three island kauai is by far the most beautiful.
Greg and Catherine, what company did you rent your Unlimited from? Did you notice if most the companies were renting Unlimiteds or regular Wranglers?

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Supergper said:
Greg and Catherine, what company did you rent your Unlimited from? Did you notice if most the companies were renting Unlimiteds or regular Wranglers?

Hertz Rental, at the airport. We had reservations for a car and they offered an upgrade to a convertible or something else for $10/day more. I saw the TJ's out there, then asked them if they had any Unlimiteds, which I honestly didn't think they'd have. They did, so we took the one they had availabl. IIRC, they had only 2-3 Unlimiteds and a bunch of TJ's, so you might want to make reservations for the LJ ahead of time.

I didn't really take notice of too many other rental companys Jeep stocks.