Suggestions on what to get next?

Moabxjeeper

So here's my situation.. I have a nice (older) Jeep I'm probably going to sell soon. I love it to death but as situations change, so do priorities. I bought a dirt bike a couple years ago and since have only taken my Jeep wheeling once. Now it just sits on the side of the house most of the time, unless I decide to take it to work or hitch the bikes up and take it to the track.

What I would really like is to sell the Jeep and get an older truck of some sort to haul my dirt bike around with, take camping and hunting (4x4 a must), and maybe one day haul a small to medium sized camp trailer. This truck wouldn't have to be anything fancy as I already have a DD. I would want something of around equal value to the Jeep (possibly 4-5k). Something reliable I could take 1k miles without any worries.

I know that's asking a lot for the price range, but what are some suggestions you guys have as far as what to look for? The only truck I really have much experience with was a 92 F250 with a 460 that I had for a couple years. It was a sweet truck that I bought to haul my Jeep with and it did great, but I decided I don't need anything quite that big and would prefer something that would hopefully get decent mileage (15-16mpg too much to ask?).

Let me know what ideas you guys have! I'm open to any suggestions.

boogie_4wheel

I just helped a friend of mine hunt down a truck with with a $2500-3500 budget. Ended up with a '95 F250 PSD (4wd, auto, ex cab long bed, 4.10, bald tires, and it had been sitting down wind of something getting painted).
2-3 weeks ago, KSL was flooded with mid-90s 3/4 and 1-ton trucks of your favorite manufacturer that were loaded with the big blocks (454/460, and even a few Ford and Dodge V10), and they looked clean with not too many miles. It sounds like you are looking for a half ton though? It looked like you could buy more truck (cleaner, less miles) by going 8 lug vs getting a half ton for the exact money, but deals do happen.

I had a '97 GMC K1500 (ex cab short, 4wd, 350/4L60E, 3.73 gears). I could milk 18mpg out of it strictly on the highway. I bought it with 89k and sold it with 244k (stock rotating assembly and unopened trans). I would still have it if I wouldn't have bought that damn toyhauler that was too heavy for it (I knew it was when we signed for the trailer), but even then kept it for another 8mo. I saw a super clean silver one on KSL while searching for by buddy, and it was a little over $5k, but it was mint looking.

Moabxjeeper

I just helped a friend of mine hunt down a truck with with a $2500-3500 budget. Ended up with a '95 F250 PSD (4wd, auto, ex cab long bed, 4.10, bald tires, and it had been sitting down wind of something getting painted).
2-3 weeks ago, KSL was flooded with mid-90s 3/4 and 1-ton trucks of your favorite manufacturer that were loaded with the big blocks (454/460, and even a few Ford and Dodge V10), and they looked clean with not too many miles. It sounds like you are looking for a half ton though? It looked like you could buy more truck (cleaner, less miles) by going 8 lug vs getting a half ton for the exact money, but deals do happen.

I had a '97 GMC K1500 (ex cab short, 4wd, 350/4L60E, 3.73 gears). I could milk 18mpg out of it strictly on the highway. I bought it with 89k and sold it with 244k (stock rotating assembly and unopened trans). I would still have it if I wouldn't have bought that damn toyhauler that was too heavy for it (I knew it was when we signed for the trailer), but even then kept it for another 8mo. I saw a super clean silver one on KSL while searching for by buddy, and it was a little over $5k, but it was mint looking.

Well I'm definitely not opposed to getting another 3/4 ton. I loved my F250 and knowing I could tow anything without worrying about it being too much for my truck.

I was actually looking at a couple K1500/2500's. I've heard that old 350 is a really reliable motor and would tow anything I would ever need it to. It sounds like you like those alright.

rondo

rondo
If you need a reliable commuting 4x4 to have fun with I'd get a Nissan 4x4 but of course I love them. The D22 model (post hardbody) is reliable. The V6 engine is no powerhouse though that's for sure.

On the other hand if you bought a 80s -91 F350, then the worse thing that could happen is you'd take the axles someday for your future build. Just get the Dana 60 kingpin front and you're golden. If I had my choice of old truck beater I think I'd find an 86 F350 with the front 60. As rare as bigfoot but there's something about that body style I love. And I also love the straight six best in those believe it or not.