Suggestions- trails within 45 minutes of Salt Lake?

sean_pistol

Looking for some trails that will push a stock rig more than just dirt trails, but not as far as body damage. I'm new to Utah, and would appreciate any suggestions you guys can offer up. I was wondering if there is some good stuff to be found up near "the B" in Bountiful? I've snowmobiled up there in the winter.

Trying to go somewhere for a half a day trip with a lightly modified 1 gen Tacoma and 1 gen Tundra and some recovery gear.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
Lots of stuff above the B and off Skyline that you wouldn't want to take a Civic on but with no threat of body damage. Five Mile Pass has the Snakes trails - Rattlesnake can be done by a new driver in a stock truck with no danger of body damage. American Fork Canyon has Mary Ellen which is stock/new driver friendly, and Forest Lake and Mineral Basin which are harder but still very passable for lightly built trucks. There's a whole bunch of stuff in the west desert and around Bear Lake.

Watch the trip reports section. Get a copy of the Utah Trails Northern Edition book. Grab your atlas and pick a road and go. :)

rollover

American Fork Canyon might be a minute or two more of a drive depending on where you live in the valley. It's a photo heaven with forest lake, steams, old mines and cabins. Great easy stuff and harder stuff to drive over. There are many great trip reports on it if you search trip reports section.

Last edited:

Zerkalo

I live in Salt Lake and the B remains to be my fav trail.
because it's only 15 min drive, got mud pit when you wanna mud, got moderate rocks when you wanna crawl,
and there are campsites and hiking trails on top.

But half day is mostly overkill, but you can drive to Francis peak after.

sean_pistol

Went up Skyline to the B the other day- it was a good suggestion. Fun stuff on that hill at the bottom and fun things to be found all the way up to the top. Definitely found things to push our vehicles which is what we were looking for. We might try something around American Fork tomorrow.

Thanks @rollover me and @sean_pistol did the Forest Lake trail. It was challenging in the rail. Lockers and lower tire pressure were key in the mud. We had to get the tow straps out for the first rocky part but we might have avoided the problem with rear lockers. I have a stock 1999 tacoma with rear lockers. My truck did ok with traction but my low clearance and lack of body armor was pretty nerve racking.