Northern Utah Summer RME Quarterly Training Day - July 19th-20th

sixstringsteve

If you're just hoping to tag along for an organized ride up the canyon, it might be best to just post up a new trip in the "upcoming trips" section and organize a run. This event focuses on training and improving our 4x4 community as well as driving. The presenters have spent a lot of time to put these together, and they're great presentations. The classes are definitely worth coming up for. Even if you already know everything, we could use your knowledge to contribute to the discussion. We're always looking for more volunteers to teach topics, so feel free to volunteer if you have anything you'd like to cover.

We put a lot of effort and time into these training days. They're 100% free, and supported by caring people in the 4x4 community who volunteer their time to create these. I'm sure there's something you can learn from each and every class. Topics include: recovery options, winching, righting a rolled rig, backcountry camping, tread lightly and access, where to go wheeling, etc. We see a lot of great trips spring out of these trainings, where we pair people up with others who are interested in similar types of trips.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
u guys think forest lakes can be done in an older jeep cherokee with pucks on 28" tires?

i'm trying to drag a friend along in his girlfriends jeep.

Pike2350

If you're just hoping to tag along for an organized ride up the canyon, it might be best to just post up a new trip in the "upcoming trips" section and organize a run. This event focuses on training and improving our 4x4 community as well as driving. The presenters have spent a lot of time to put these together, and they're great presentations. The classes are definitely worth coming up for. Even if you already know everything, we could use your knowledge to contribute to the discussion. We're always looking for more volunteers to teach topics, so feel free to volunteer if you have anything you'd like to cover.

We put a lot of effort and time into these training days. They're 100% free, and supported by caring people in the 4x4 community who volunteer their time to create these. I'm sure there's something you can learn from each and every class. Topics include: recovery options, winching, righting a rolled rig, backcountry camping, tread lightly and access, where to go wheeling, etc. We see a lot of great trips spring out of these trainings, where we pair people up with others who are interested in similar types of trips.

I completely agree with you and am not just ignoring the classes...I would like to attend, but can't make it up Friday night.....so I could come up Saturday morning although I've wheeled for a long time, I am not sure I'm the best knowledge bank...other then what not to do in a proper recovery (maybe I could touch on that......had a friend life flighted out of Steel Bender due to bad safety) Anyway...I don't want to take away from the classes in the least....I was just curious if there was a "schedule" or idea of what classes will be going on when....cuz I do want to learn....but I'm also not a major hardcore guy (which this place was much more hardcore then me when I started, and partly why I haven't been to many things) So I guess I'll come up for the classes on Saturday morning.....I assume they are just being done at Duthcman's?

I have never camped up AF before....is there enough parking up there for people? Is it ok if I can't make it up Friday night or do you prefer that people come for both things (which I completely understand as well)

sixstringsteve

In the past we've had a rigid schedule. This time, it's pretty flexible. I plan on tackling recovery on Saturday morning, and expanding on anything we didn't have time for on Friday night, then we'll head out on the trails.

Yes, everything is being done at Dutchman's.

There is plenty of parking for people up there. You don't have to come Friday night. Come to whatever portion you can, even if it's just the trail ride. That being said, Friday night is my favorite part, lots of GREAT topics covered there (especially the "where to wheel" segment).

A lot of the training will also cover less "hardcore" topics, including multi-day expedition-style travel, camping for first timers, and we'll introduce some of the best books we've found for planning trips.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
I was right with you until you got to this part. I would not recommend a new driver drive a relatively low truck up Forest Lake when the truck isn't even his. I'd say bring him anyway and take turns driving your truck.

the 2 of them want to come out and wheel, they are looking into buying a newer 4 door rubicon.

sounds like the cherokee is a bad idea. haha, might have to wait to hit the trails till they get a better rig.

i'd take em both in my yota if i had the room.. (my only complaint with my single cab pickup).

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
If they can make it to the camp site I am sure some of the guys here will have open seats to ride along with them.

sixstringsteve

Even a "mild" 4x4 trail is very exciting to new wheelers. I recommend you bring them along in their cherokee and just run a more scenic trail. They're more likely to get hooked that way. I've scared off too many new wheelers by taking them on trails that I consider "fun" and they consider "extreme". :D

Even rattlesnake scares a lot of first-timers.

TJDukit

I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S.
Even a "mild" 4x4 trail is very exciting to new wheelers. I recommend you bring them along in their cherokee and just run a more scenic trail. They're more likely to get hooked that way. I've scared off too many new wheelers by taking them on trails that I consider "fun" and they consider "extreme". :D

Even rattlesnake scares a lot of first-timers.

I have this same problem.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Will groups be splitting up to run all trails or is it gonna one big group covering each one at a time?

I figure breaking up into groups will be the way to go since that way people that can stay up there all day Saturday will be able to run the ones they want to try most and then roll out.

Will the area be open to night wheeling after the classes end Friday night if some people wanna go instead of crashing?

sixstringsteve

We will split into 4 groups. There isn't time to run all 4 trails in one day.

You're welcome to do some night wheeling on Friday night, I'd just ask that you don't plan it to interfere with the training. I would hate to see half the group leave to go wheeling while a volunteer is giving a presentation he's spent a lot of time on. Once the presentations are done Friday night, wheel your heart out.

sLcREX

Formerly Maldito X
Cool that's what I would imagine as well. Don't wanna interfere with the classes or presentations. I also imagine anyone rolling back into camp late would want to be quiet for those that decided to go sleep.

spacecase

Out Crawlin'
sweet, i'll try to get em to tag along for the classes then let em split off with some of the stock rigs.

also, i've got another guy coming in friday night. he's not on the forum but will be meeting us at the reservoir in his FJ Cruiser.

ricsrx

The 14 year old for sure, but let me put it this way.... My wife (their step-mother) does not want to be stuck on baby-sitting duty and has said if there are no other kids going she doesn't think we should go. I'm all in, I take the boys camping just the 3 of us regularly and they self-entertain. Heck, give them a couple fallen trees plus an axe and a hatchet and they are good for hours. Ultimately it's about keeping the wife happy (and she wants to go), so if at least one other similarly aged kid is around we should be good. If not, I may be able to work something out - let the 10 year old spend the night with a friend and just bring the wife and older kid... Even that isn't great, 'cause the 10 year old LOVES camping/wheeling.

Put me down as on the fence/probably.
If the rest of you don't mind I will bring Hunters Truck, It is slow and I was afraid we would get left behind, skeptic's 14 year old son could ride shotgun with him, other wise I was just going to bring my truck and let Hunter drive.

sixstringsteve

Your call, whichever one you want. I assume he is wanting to run mineral basin?

I saw a truck that looks just like hunters heading up the canyon.