Sunday Drive; Henry Mountains & the Burr Trail switchbacks

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
So a few weeks ago we headed out for a Sunday drive, I've been wanting to see more of the Henry Mountains so we headed West. Topped of the fuel tank in Green River, passed Goblin Valley and headed up Bull Creek Pass.

PB171603-X2.jpg

PB171606-X2.jpg

PB171611-X2.jpg

PB171612-X2.jpg

PB171616-X2.jpg

PB171618-X2.jpg

We took the road over the Southern end of the mountains and I was expecting a lot of moisture, so we opted to stay at a lower elevation. The road was easy going, rocky at parts but we never used 4WD. The pass topped out and surprisingly it was totally dry, hardly any moisture! We worked our way back down into the desert and over to the Burr Trail and the Switchbacks.

PB171620-X2.jpg

PB171621-X2.jpg

PB171624-X2.jpg

PB171629-X2.jpg

PB171631-X2.jpg

PB171635-X2.jpg

PB171640-X2.jpg

PB171645-X2.jpg

After driving out of Capitol Reef NP, we came across a massive amount of Deer... and even a good sized flock of Turkey's, all staying safe on private farmland!

PB171648-X2.jpg

PB171654-X2.jpg

PB171658-X2.jpg

Greg

Admin
Glad you guys enjoyed it, I want to spend more time camping & hiking around the Burr Trail switchbacks... really want to check out Upper & Lower Muley Twist canyons! Would love to take the dual sport out there too.

sixstringsteve

Thanks for sharing. We were just there (upper muley twist and burr switchbacks) yesterday. Beautiful area. I really want to go back and explore the Henry Mtns soon. They were covered in about 12" of snow this past weekend, so we passed on it.

Last edited:

DAA

I was up there while it was snowing last weekend. Got my Jeep stuck three times, spent half the day by myself shoveling and winching... Lot of fun though. Picture of camp.

20131121_Henryqus_Camp-6W.jpg

- DAA

Greg

Admin
Wow, Dave!

Yeah with the recent storm last weekend I figured the Henry's got pounded... sounds like they did! I wish we would have taken a higher pass, after we had seen how dry it was when we were there. Oh well, gives me an excuse to go back again soon.