Super dumb bumpstop/limiting strap question

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Hey, sorry for the horrible question. But how do you measure for bump stops? is there a way to do it without taking it somewhere to flex out? Or can i just pop my coil and drop the suspenion all the way down and do it that way? Also for limiting straps do i just measure from the top shock bolt to my lower shock bolt with the suspension at full droop?

Sorry once again, never done this before, but should have a long, long time ago.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Bump stops depends on the type of stop. You need to find out how much give it has. If you are using the OEM ZJ ones, then not too much. I'm planning to put the rig on stands under the sliders, pull my coils, and cycle the suspension till the tires are about 1/2 from hitting. Then I'll put the surface of my bumpstop about 1/4" lower than the contact point in that measurement.
For limit straps, you need to decide on the shok length you are going to run, and limit it as to not overextend the shock (OBVIOUSLY). Another thing to think about it center limit straps. I've talked to several people who reccomend limiting the front and rear to no more than 3" droop in the center. That will still allow articulation, but not allow the suspension to unload.

Food for thought.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
If you drop the suspension straight down (both sides) and set your bumpstops there, you will still rub when flexed. There's not really much substitution to flexing it out and seeing what hits where. Same thing with shocks. Measure distance from upper to lower mount when that side of the suspension is fully compressed and then fully extended, then buy shocks that match those measurements, and set your limiting straps to prevent the shocks from extending past their limit.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
I'm getting really close, hoping to have everything buttoned up by tuesday at the latest, but we will see. I have to rebuild my axle, and my tcase with the tere 2 low kit, and then its ready to bolt up, but i have a lot of little things to do still. (ABS, E-brake, Exhaust, etc..) And yeah, i saw your jeep at teraflex when i went in to pick up a couple of things (which i now need to return because i dont need them), how are you liking it??

Oh yeah, and i will probably measure for my driveshaft monday, did you ever measure the one you had, just so i know if it will work?

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Zombie, are you going to do a center limiting strap, where would you mount it? or do you have to come up with your own place? And i dont understand the use in having one, wouldnt it be a bad thing if you were to get high centered for something?

RockChucker

I'm getting really close, hoping to have everything buttoned up by tuesday at the latest, but we will see. I have to rebuild my axle, and my tcase with the tere 2 low kit, and then its ready to bolt up, but i have a lot of little things to do still. (ABS, E-brake, Exhaust, etc..) And yeah, i saw your jeep at teraflex when i went in to pick up a couple of things (which i now need to return because i dont need them), how are you liking it??

Oh yeah, and i will probably measure for my driveshaft monday, did you ever measure the one you had, just so i know if it will work?
i love the jeep. it rides so much better with the track bar in the rear eliminated and the flex is so much better b/c it doesn't have a track bar to bind on. we'll have to go wheelin' before you move down to st george.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Thats good, that is what i just did to the rear of mine, no more track bar!! I was hoping to go out to little moab over th 14-16 arent you in moab then? And i leave on the 19th so i dont have to long

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
Zombie, are you going to do a center limiting strap, where would you mount it? or do you have to come up with your own place? And i dont understand the use in having one, wouldnt it be a bad thing if you were to get high centered for something?

If you were truly high centered, the weight of the axle wouldn't give you enough traction to get up and over. You really only get traction when you have vehicle weight pushing down, not just free droop. I'm waiting to see what happens with exhaust before I make a decision on hoe to set it up. I'd like to weld in a tube over the axle, and mount the limit strap to that, the top of the clayton's truss. As long as there is room for that, thats what will happen. If not, I'll weld a plate to the floor pan to distribute the load.

I Lean

Mbryson's hairdresser
Vendor
Just as an option for you Grand guys, I've set up a couple of front end center limiting straps (on Cody's ZJ's) by welding a tab to the top/center of the axle, then running the strap diagonally to the passenger side engine mount bolt.

It may be just a tad ghetto, but it sure does work and is easy.

grandmaster

Let the build Re-begin
Just as an option for you Grand guys, I've set up a couple of front end center limiting straps (on Cody's ZJ's) by welding a tab to the top/center of the axle, then running the strap diagonally to the passenger side engine mount bolt.

It may be just a tad ghetto, but it sure does work and is easy.

Good to know, i orderd some bumpstops, but im waiting on the limiting straps until get it all said and done to measure. Honestly, nothing goes right for me, i cant do a damn thing without something going wrong for me ha ha. Oh well, who cares, im over it.

Zombie

Random Dead Guy
welding a tab to the top/center of the axle, then running the strap diagonally to the passenger side engine mount bolt.

So the strap would basically form an X with the track bar when both wheels droop? I can see that working... and very simple too.