Super Ranger AKA Stranger

Picked up the Stranger this week as a result of being frustrated with not being able to attempt every obstacle on a trail. My 99 TJ was extremely capable for a street legal rig, but I was missing being able to attempt trails like Brittney Spears, or obstacles like Suicide Hill and the last waterfall on Upper Helldorado.

The Stranger began life as the Lovell Racing built Super Ranger that I believe won more UROC Legend events than any other one rig in the series history, including every event in 2005 and the World Championships in 2006. It has also competed in Ultra 4 races and the King of the Hammers in 2008.

Although it has a great history it's gone through 3 owners since the Lovells and has been rode hard and put away wet a few too many times. The last owner bought it to run 4500 class Ultra 4 racing but found it to be more of a project than he wanted and opted to purchase another rig that was closer to being competition ready. As a result the little Ranger sat for almost a year. Mitch was very upfront with the condition on the rig and I don't anticipate many surprises with this project. This will be a work in progress and actually needs some key things fixed before I can even hit a trail.

The first order of the business is tracking down multiple electrical gremlins, the most prominent being finding out why the fuel pump runs whenever the battery is hooked up. This problem has also killed the batter so a new one is in order. The next high priority fix will be replacing most, if not all, of the heims in the suspension. After these 2 areas are covered I'll be hit the trails out west for some orientation and to identify other needs and wants.

I knew going into this that it would be a project, but I couldn't pass up the price for what was a such an award winning and capable rig. It will be great to be back in a buggy and hopefully by Thanksgiving I can have it tested and functional and maybe head to Moab. The pictures in orange are how the rig looks now.

Attachments

• comp2.jpg
    comp2.jpg
    67.3 KB · Views: 107
  • left.jpg
    left.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 112
  • right.jpg
    right.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 102

sixstringsteve

Needs and wants change. This rig has served the purpose it was intended for, nothing wrong with passing it along for someone else to enjoy, while you get something that meets your new needs. There's nothing worse than being stuck with a rig that you're not happy with.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
What? Bart is selling a rig? Inconceivable!!!

heh. Things change though, I can dig it. This is a pretty sweet, but purpose-specific buggy. Someone will love it, I'm sure.

Bart

Still haven't made my mind up for sure. Motor is a Mustang 5.0, C4 tranny, Atlas II. I love the buggy and it's the best comp rig I've ever wheeled. It flat out works. Climbs almost as well as my old 112" wb Willys buggy.

Coco

So you convince me to build a buggy, and now you want to sell yours?! :(

I was hoping to compete along side you at OSRC this year :(

Bart

Loaded up and heading for Lincoln Nebraska. It was a fun rig. On to the next project.

Attachments

• byby.JPG
    byby.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 30

Jinx

when in doubt, upgrade!
Glad you were able to sell it.

But kind of hated to see it go.

That at was a fun day on the old mans run the November Before last.