'SuperBirfs' just arrived.......

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
....courtesy of the UPS Man!! I love to see them headed to my door, they always bring me happyness in a cardboard box!!

Now I can forget about breaking a stock Birfield...... and worry about the Inner shafts!! Oh well, Pandoras Box, eh? From what I gather, it takes tons of abuse to break front shafts (Rears too) and I'm not too sure I can cause breakage on that scale.

I just want to share with everyone!! :D :D

Greg

Admin
SuperBirfs are the 'CTM' of the Toyota crowd. They are heat treated to reduce the Rockwell Hardness and have a ring welded to the end of the bell for strenght. Heres a pic of mine!!

MattL

Congrats ..

Now it is time to get wheelin.

How is the fuel injection coming along?

Greg

Admin
Originally posted by miatre
How is the fuel injection coming along?

Uummmmm....I'm working on it right now...... yeah...... that's what I'm doing........

It's almost there, I still need the stock wiring from the Fuel Pump to the Computer, but I don't have a 2nd vehicle to go running around in, so I kinda have to deal with that. Once thats done, it's all wires from there! Mabey by this Saturday.........

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Yeah, ya gotta love watching them trash stock birfs and shafts...I like his setup, reminds me of the testing stuff in the engineering dept. at school.

Do you guys stock SuperBirfs???

-Kurt

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by cruiseroutfit
Do you guys stock SuperBirfs???

No, they are only distributed by Bobby Long himself. No dealer pricing exists. Also, he doesn't seem to have any desire to sponsor competitors or discount product from what I hear. When you have a great product that everyone wants, I guess thats how it works. That Bastard! :D

Ryan

I read somewhere the other day that Marlin is going to be a dealer pretty soon(note: future tense). Who knows where you might see them being sold soon...:)

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
I inquired quite a while back when we were buying quite a few birf replacements at Cruiser Outfitters, SLC. I was told that he would come down in his pricing if we placed one big bulk order, like 20 or so...I don't know about everyone else but I know I can't afford to have those sitting on the shelf. Mabey when our companies start to make it big we can afford to have stuff like this in a nice bi glass case in a nice big showroom.....dreams gotta love em'. BTW Does anyone know specifics on how he makes these??? I have access to a engineering kiln capable of 20,000 to harden such stuff, I assume the rings start out something like the sammy tings on the rocky road sits???....anyone....
-Kurt

Ryan

No idea on the tech stuff Kurt. There was mention that since Marlin was going to be dealing them, you could buy them with a credit card now. Not that Bobby would have Marlin sell them just for that reason, but, who knows.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Originally posted by Ryan
I read somewhere the other day that Marlin is going to be a dealer pretty soon(note: future tense). Who knows where you might see them being sold soon...:)

I haven't heard about that. Interesting stuff... Marlin couldn't get it right, so he's carrying someone elses? Strange.

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I inquired quite a while back when we were buying quite a few birf replacements at Cruiser Outfitters, SLC. I was told that he would come down in his pricing if we placed one big bulk order, like 20 or so...I don't know about everyone else but I know I can't afford to have those sitting on the shelf. Mabey when our companies start to make it big we can afford to have stuff like this in a nice bi glass case in a nice big showroom.....dreams gotta love em'. BTW Does anyone know specifics on how he makes these??? I have access to a engineering kiln capable of 20,000 to harden such stuff, I assume the rings start out something like the sammy tings on the rocky road sits???....anyone....
-Kurt

I'm sure he's real careful about giving out any secrets. BTW, the process he is using doesn't harden the desired parts of the birf. It reduces the hardness of the material, making it less brittle. That is what I've understood so far. I've heard something about cryogenically treating them too. Any metalurgists here? :rolleyes:

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Alright Vonski, we've got a project. I'll get ahold of some of the Chem Engineers at school and pry them for knowledge.... I will also be taking a strengths of materials class next semester that will cover such items.... makes ya think....

Vonski

nothing to see here...
Alright Vonski, we've got a project. I'll get ahold of some of the Chem Engineers at school and pry them for knowledge.... I will also be taking a strengths of materials class next semester that will cover such items.... makes ya think....

OK, you do all the R&D and I'll break 'em until you get it right. :D

cruiseroutfit

Cruizah!
Vendor
Sounds like a plan, I might even trough in some other stuff for you to break also. hahahaha. Hey man you never know, I might just follow up on this one, seems like there can't be too much to the way the metal is treated.

BTW have you had any experience with the birf rings rockroad sells for Sami's?

Vonski

nothing to see here...
BTW have you had any experience with the birf rings rockroad sells for Sami's?

Sure, but they were not produced "in house". They were produced by Spidertrax who are talented machinists. I know how they are made, how they work, and how to (press) install them. Thats about it though.