SUV platform and drawers

FastGas

I'd like to have something like this made for my Rodeo but I am unsure of where/how to begin:
https://imgur.com/a/9R9Ft
The carpentry seems simple enough but the drawers complicate things considerably, especially if there isn't an off-the-shelf option. Have any of you completed a similar project or by chance know someone that does this type of stuff professionally?

FastGas

edit:
It's particularly pressing since getting the fridge freezer, I really a hard, flat, stable area to bolt it and/or its slide to.

nnnnnate

Supporting Member
ARB and several other companies make what you're looking for but I kind of doubt any would fit in a rodeo. It seems like you are thinking that you want a platform then add drawers as opposed to making the drawers to fit your space that happen to have a flat spot on top for storage. Are you wanting to sleep on the platform or anything like that?

These are all land cruiser specific but since they are all homebrew they could be adjusted to fit your application:

First
Second
Third

And one of just a platform.

For the drawers you can use heavy duty slides that are rated for lots of weight and potentially cost $150+ or you can use skateboard bearings mounted to a frame the the drawer slides on. Seems like more people use the HD slides than going with bearings but there are lots of options, even more than just those two.

Kevin B.

Not often wrong. Never quite right.
The slides are expensive, but I'm having a hard time figuring a way to use the skateboard bearings or caster wheels that doesn't eat up considerably more real estate and weigh a bunch more too. I'll probably end up dropping near $200 on a set of heavy duty full extension slides when build the bed slide for my truck. Slides for an SUV probably wouldn't cost quite as much. If you don't need the 500lb rating or the five foot length they drop in price pretty good.

moab_cj5

Supporting Member
The slides are expensive, but I'm having a hard time figuring a way to use the skateboard bearings or caster wheels that doesn't eat up considerably more real estate and weigh a bunch more too. I'll probably end up dropping near $200 on a set of heavy duty full extension slides when build the bed slide for my truck. Slides for an SUV probably wouldn't cost quite as much. If you don't need the 500lb rating or the five foot length they drop in price pretty good.

This. The carpentry isn't too difficult. I am willing to help, but do yourself a favor and spend the money on quality hardware. Worth every penny!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tonkaman

I remember Sixstringsteve saying he wished he had just bought drawers rather than making them. It's far more work and money than most expect

FastGas

I was hoping for full-length boxes about 10-12" tall and a deck over them strong enough to support my 220lbs and a 100lb, loaded fridge

thefirstzukman

Finding Utah
Supporting Member
Amazon for the slides, should be about $60 per pair for 400 lb 40" full extension. I bought some for a hidden drawer and they work great, I've been using them at nearly full load rating for several years with no problem.

Pike2350

I made a platform for my Rodeo.......all i did was use 1x8's(or 1x10's I can't recall) for 3 uprights and 1/2" plywood for the platform....then inbetween the uprights I used Rubbermaid under bed plastic totes. I'd prefer a drawer, but they work well enough. I'll eventually add a bottom and possibly build drawers for it...but for now it does fine. I carpeted it with grey carpet from Home Depot. It fits nice and snug and allows me to get to the stuff I need easily. I've had this setup for 10+ years.

I broke one of the rubbermaid pieces and rather then get a new one, I just put my recovery strap, and tool bags in there.....sometimes I have to get to the front via putting down the back seat...but it hasn't bothered me too much.

I just realize I have the tailgate, so I have something to slide the tote onto....whereas you have a hatch and would need the slides to support the drawer.

balfred

I would not use mdf, it is not the right material for this unless you have the right tools and reinforcement plus it is heavy! Use good quality solid wood plywood.

sixstringsteve

my latest youtube video shows a bit about how I built mine with skateboard bearings. It'd be easier to just buy $200 slides that were meant for a lot of weight. That being said, I love my skateboard bearing slides. They're EXTREMELY robust. But they took a TON of hours to build. Depending on how heavy you pack it, you might be fine without slides. A friend of mine has drawers that just rest in their pockets, and they've been super useful. No bearings needed for his setup, he just slides it along the bottom of the truck bed.