SUWA's Media Blitz

ricsrx

That is why I have been following all of their articles in every forum i can locate to give them my own media blitz!!!!!!

SportSawyer

The Trib story sez...

"... Groene said Utahns have become increasingly supportive of efforts to protect Utah’s redrock wilderness and are even more favorable when they understand wilderness areas are not off-limits to family recreation."

Sure they do. Take a look at one of SUWA's ads:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w_5djUUnkPU

Gee, how would this family pack the chairs, coleman stove, coleman lantern, tents, and big cooler (see at about 0:11) into the Wilderness? They wouldn't, at least not for more than a few feet. Which is how far the stuff was carried from an SUV parked behind the camera.

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I sent an article to the Des News but it does not look like it will be published. Has anyone sent anything to the Trib.? I am also trying to get an interview with Amy Joi O'Donoghue at the Des. News but no luck so far.

Samuraiman

Sand Pile
My letter, they stated at the SL trib that they have interest in printing it Sunday. I have also solicited help from a few others and we will be drafting a letter to the Utah Association's of Counties as well as the Sheriff's association's. We want them to pass resolution's and draft a letter of there own to support legislation to correct the Washington County Land use Bill. Also to fight in the future any further closure or changing management practice because of pressure from environmental groups. We have plans to have our local communities pass resolution's and have it on the record they oppose further restriction's. We would actually like to see the entire Utah State Delegation and federal delegation also jump on board.

My Letter

SUWA has begun to spend it's excess of funds with an aggressive campaign to promote more irresponsible designation of wilderness in Utah. With the recent passage of the Washington County bill. Many areas that did not meet the legal definition of wilderness were set aside as such. The Washington County Commission submitted maps to Matheson, Hatch and Bennett to be approved as the Washington County Land use bill. These maps were altered beyond recognition and returned to the county as the new land use bill. Any County that is considering working on a plan for a County wide land use bill, should reconsider. Take the time to ask the residence and civic leaders of Washington County there feelings on the issue before any land use consideration. All RS 2477 routes need to be resolved and a travel management plan completed before any consideration for a land use bill is started. Otherwise your county will be left with legislation that will tie your hands behind your back in regards to future transportation and developement needs. Once a land use bill is passed, the execution of travel management plan cannot change the congressionally mandated designations.

Best Regards,

gijohn40

too poor to wheel... :(
I saw on facebook that Suwa is posting ads there... If you see them make sure to click on the X and list either that they are misleading or disgusting.....

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
I sent an article to the Des News but it does not look like it will be published. Has anyone sent anything to the Trib.? I am also trying to get an interview with Amy Joi O'Donoghue at the Des. News but no luck so far.

My letter was posted under my legal name, John Arleigh Johnston, although it was watered down a bit.

The recent article, "Environmental group launches $2M wilds media campaign" is another example of spending money to harm Utah. Off-road use is a lifestyle, tourist attraction and natural resource, that benefits Utah's economy. This same environmental group has spent about $2 million per year since 2004 to close up Utah with wilderness. Does this mean they will now spend $4 million? I think the money could be put to better use educating people about not abusing the BLM's Public Land Use Policy.

John Arleigh Johnston

South Jordan

jackjoh

Jack - KC6NAR
Supporting Member
This is what I put on the desnews comment section.
About 10,000 miles of roads and trails have been closed in the state of Utah. When does it stop. It would not be so bad if it was done on an equal basis. It restricts handicapped and elderly people from areas but allows hikers, bikers, and horsemen who also have access to all the areas open to OHV's. Is it ok to close out everyone except the chosen ones? Who is furnishing the money to close areas? It sure isn't volunteer members as SUWA's membership has gradually dropped over the last few years. East coast billionare money? For what purpose?