SUWA's response to the release of the RMP's

Brett

Meat-Hippy
I can't say that I'm surprised......and check out where they're getting quotes from.

The Bush Administration’s last assault on Utah’s public lands is underway as the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) releases final “Resource Management Plans” intended to determine the fate of 11 million acres of Utah’s spectacular redrock country for years to come. Final plans for the Moab, Kanab and Richfield BLM Field Offices have been released, impacting iconic places such as Labyrinth Canyon, Fisher Towers, Vermilion Cliffs, Dirty Devil, Henry Mountains, Coral Pink Sand Dunes and Factory Butte. The final plans for public lands managed by the Monticello, Price and Vernal BLM offices are expected by the end this month. The plans that have been released are uniformly rotten, and if implemented will cause tremendous harm. The BLM's Utah State Director - Selma Sierra - has publicly said that she intends to finalize all the plans by mid-October. Today, with regard to the Richfield plan, the Salt Lake Tribune's editorial writers said:

"The mountains, rivers and forests comprising 2 million acres will be taken over by noisy, exhaust-spewing OHVs and greedy energy developers, eliminating the possibility that their wilderness qualities could be preserved for future generations. To them, we'll be known as the idiot generation." Salt Lake Tribune, 8/12/08

In addition, The Salt Lake Tribune characterizes the Richfield plan as: "..an off-roader's dream: a federal management plan making nearly 2 million acres of public land a playground for off-highway vehicles" and, "...a gift tied with a big red ribbon and handed to oil and gas developers." None of the plans released thus far address the devastating consequences of climate change in the west, including the need to avoid soil disruption caused by energy development and motorized recreation, which effect not only the local ecosystems, but also snowmelt, lakes and streams in the Rocky Mountains.

The Moab plan fails to protect 90% of the lands that the BLM itself determined have wilderness character; designates nearly 4,000 miles of off-road vehicle routes, many of which are in BLM wilderness character roadless lands; and allows oil and gas development on over 1.4 million acres.
The Kanab plan designates 1,401 miles of ORV routes, 118 miles of which are in BLM roadless lands with wilderness character and in fragile streams, such as the East Fork of the Virgin River just outside of Zion National Park.
The Richfield plan opens thousands of acres around Factory Butte to cross country off-road vehicle use, (previously closed to protect endangered cacti species), and only provides protection for 78,600 of the 682,600 acres or roadless land identified by BLM as having wilderness character.
It has taken the BLM almost the entirety of the Bush Administration’s tenure to develop these plans, catering to the interests of the oil and gas industry and motorized recreation. Now, our task at SUWA is to ensure that the Bush Administration’s attempt to leave a legacy of destruction and reckless development is not fulfilled. The staff at SUWA are reviewing these voluminous document and drafting comprehensive protests for each of the plans. You can help support this work by making a donation to SUWA today. Click here to join SUWA or click here to renew your membership.

Working together we can protect America's redrock wilderness heritage!

jdub

Scrambler
Is this really true? Will more wheeling spots open up? Didn't California shut down many state parks due to lack of fund$? Is this change really all bad? I don't mind sharing.

jdub

Scrambler
Ok, that's fine too. I understand all the reasons they have but they also write in that article as if there is some evil villain behind all of this, Needing some Super-hero intervention. With the foothills of Utah Valley becoming off limits and trail closures being common, I've adapted my choices and conformed to the new standards. Change is hard I know but just Chill and adjust a little, It's still a beautiful State that we all will enjoy!

Is this really true? Will more wheeling spots open up?

Uh, no. Millions of acres previously open to cross country travel will be closed under these RMP's. When it says that routes were "designated" it means that of the existing miles of roads, these routes appear on the travel plan and everything else is closed. Overall, a huge net loss for the OHV community.

Seth

These go to 11
It is never enough. Never satisfied with logic and reasonable. Lets push and push till its all gone. Then and only then can we rest easy knowing only the super hippy can visit.

Last edited:

RWH

Let's Roll For Justice
I'm going to make a Hemp spare tire cover, and some truck nuts out of birkenstocks to celebrate. If I can ruin ANYTHING for them it's their lame fashion trends.

RuggedH2

Just doing my thing.
It is never enough for them.

They are not about compromise at all. Their entire angle is zero motorized travel.

Liberal zealots at their hypocritical best.

Everything they do is right, rationalized and justified. We are just ignorant, redneck rubes too stupid to take care of ourselves.

We can't even see how all this no use wilderness benefits the people who own it.