swap laws

after a long consideration of budget i have decided that a fuel injection conversion for my 4.2 inline 6 would be to expensive and i have just aquired a v-6 4.3 vortec what are the laws in utah regarding engine swaps and could i even go up to a v-8

the motor will be going into a 90' jeep wrangler

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
The written rules(can be found on the salt lake heath dept web site) seem to say that swaps are illegal. People do get vehichles with swapped in engines approved though. A V8 would be no more illigal than a V6, so why not get the 2 extra cylinders while you are at it?

BryansToy

Toy Beater
bobdog said:
People do get vehichles with swapped in engines approved though. QUOTE]
Depends on who you know.

Try looking on http://www.utah.gov/ or
http://highwaypatrol.utah.gov/

I couldn't find anything except muffler stuff.
Also waiting for reply from UHP on that question

This is what I found and off subject

Utah Code Title 41-6-150.10. (4) Wheel covers, mudguards, flaps, or splash aprons are not required on a vehicle operated or driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads if the motor vehicle:(a) was made in America prior to 1935;
(b) is registered as a vintage vehicle; or
(c) is a replica vehicle as defined under Section 41-6-155.5.

Don't you just hate the find print.

R

rockdog

engine

NuCKinG FuTS said:
after a long consideration of budget i have decided that a fuel injection conversion for my 4.2 inline 6 would be to expensive and i have just aquired a v-6 4.3 vortec what are the laws in utah regarding engine swaps and could i even go up to a v-8

the motor will be going into a 90' jeep wrangler
i think the law for engine swaps in utah reads something like the engine going in the vehicle has to be as new or newer ( year wise ) than the vehicle its going in and has to retain all of the smog equipment it came from the factory with. pretty restrictive !

Caleb

rockdog said:
i think the law for engine swaps in utah reads something like the engine going in the vehicle has to be as new or newer ( year wise ) than the vehicle its going in and has to retain all of the smog equipment it came from the factory with. pretty restrictive !

Thats what I have always heard it is, BUT I have never seen anything in writing...
I have also heard it has to be the same size as what was available form the factory (so 6 cyl. was available so you could swap a newer 6 cylinder in but an 8 wasn;t in Wranglers so you cant legally swap an 8 in)...I dont know if this is true so take it for what its worth:D

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
supergper said:
I have also heard it has to be the same size as what was available form the factory (so 6 cyl. was available so you could swap a newer 6 cylinder in but an 8 wasn;t in Wranglers so you cant legally swap an 8 in)...I dont know if this is true so take it for what its worth:D
You are right. I know someone had a link on here somewhere for it when we were discussing my brother's 5.0 swap.

dbtech01 said:

If you got it certified before July 1991, then the following applies.

10.3.3 After July 1, 1991 no new verifications of engine changes in accordance with Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these Regulations shall be accepted unless it is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Director that the changed system is equally or more effective in controlling emissions than those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle. Installing an older engine or installing an engine with an engine displacement that is other than that originally available for the vehicle, will result in the vehicle being classified as “tampered”. The rules relating to tampering will then apply to such vehicle.
10.3.3.1 Testing according to the guidelines of Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these Regulations shall only pertain to those vehicles that received verification by the Department prior to July 1, 1991.
10.3.4 For 1968 to 1983 vehicles, having an engine older than the original, the owner may apply to the Director for a verification of an engine change. Verification will be made, provided that the owner can prove the actual model year of the engine. The model year of the engine shall be substantiated by a reference manual or an affidavit from a reputable source, as determined by the Director. The cutpoints for the year of the engine may then be used rather than the year of the vehicle. Vehicles with engines older than 1968 shall be tested to 1968 standards.10.3.5 If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle owner must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.

If you got it after 1991, you're screwed. The pre-83 apparently no longer applies? Funny, they don't give a scenario for pre-83 with a newer engine.

I had always heard, directly from the county, that up to '83 it had to be under 220 for one of the numbers, and I don't recall the other, but it just had to be under certain standards. And after '83, no swapola. However, I know that we put a '91 454 in an '87 chev 4x4 K20 pickup (never offered) and it just had to have all the emissions stuff on it to pass, and it did. We did that in '95 or '96 or so.

Brett (had a '65-'70 396 in a '74 blazer, now had a '62 283, currently an '84 350, and soon an '89 454 in my '83 jeep. I like that trend...maybe next an '03 496)

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
it is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Director that the changed system is equally or more effective in controlling emissions than those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle. Installing an older engine or installing an engine with an engine displacement that is other than that originally available for the vehicle, will result in the vehicle being classified as “tampered”. The rules relating to tampering will then apply to such vehicle.

What are the rules relating to "tampered"?

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Maverick said:
If you got it certified before July 1991, then the following applies.

10.3.3 After July 1, 1991 no new verifications of engine changes in accordance with Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these Regulations shall be accepted unless it is demonstrated to the satisfaction of the Director that the changed system is equally or more effective in controlling emissions than those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle. Installing an older engine or installing an engine with an engine displacement that is other than that originally available for the vehicle, will result in the vehicle being classified as “tampered”. The rules relating to tampering will then apply to such vehicle.
10.3.3.1 Testing according to the guidelines of Sections 10.3.4 and 10.3.5 of these Regulations shall only pertain to those vehicles that received verification by the Department prior to July 1, 1991.
10.3.4 For 1968 to 1983 vehicles, having an engine older than the original, the owner may apply to the Director for a verification of an engine change. Verification will be made, provided that the owner can prove the actual model year of the engine. The model year of the engine shall be substantiated by a reference manual or an affidavit from a reputable source, as determined by the Director. The cutpoints for the year of the engine may then be used rather than the year of the vehicle. Vehicles with engines older than 1968 shall be tested to 1968 standards.10.3.5 If a 1984 and newer vehicle has an engine other than the original, the vehicle owner must demonstrate to the Director that the emission control systems on that engine are equally or more effective in controlling emissions as those systems originally manufactured on the vehicle before a Certification of Compliance is issued.

If you got it after 1991, you're screwed. The pre-83 apparently no longer applies? Funny, they don't give a scenario for pre-83 with a newer engine.

I had always heard, directly from the county, that up to '83 it had to be under 220 for one of the numbers, and I don't recall the other, but it just had to be under certain standards. And after '83, no swapola. However, I know that we put a '91 454 in an '87 chev 4x4 K20 pickup (never offered) and it just had to have all the emissions stuff on it to pass, and it did. We did that in '95 or '96 or so.

Brett (had a '65-'70 396 in a '74 blazer, now had a '62 283, currently an '84 350, and soon an '89 454 in my '83 jeep. I like that trend...maybe next an '03 496)

We had this disscussion a while ago. The written rules make it impossibile to legaly swap an engine into any thing newer than a 83. Peoples experiences however are that the heath dept will certify swaps so that they can be tested and registered. From what people say they base things on rules similar to California. Hickey has first hand experience with the process. It pisses me off that they will not publish new written rules so that people can know what needs to be done to do things legaly.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
It pisses me off that they will not publish new written rules so that people can know what needs to be done to do things legaly.
Me too. Sticks's new 5.0 burns cosiderably cleaner than the 4.2 it replaced. :rolleyes:

bobdog

4x4 Addict!
Hickey said:
Me too. Sticks's new 5.0 burns cosiderably cleaner than the 4.2 it replaced. :rolleyes:

I know of a certain Chevy 350 that has absoluely no pollution control equipment on it at all and tests much cleaner than the 4.2 it replaced.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
Hey Steve, post some pics of your engine.

We used all of the smog equipment except the fuel tank from the donor vehicle. Steve was given many compliments by the EPA testers when he had it tested. They mentioned that they do see a lot of hack jobs in there for certification.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
bobdog said:
I know of a certain Chevy 350 that has absoluely no pollution control equipment on it at all and tests much cleaner than the 4.2 it replaced.
I think you could probably throw a 100,000 mile 454 in there and it would burn better than a 4.2 liter. What a pig.

sticks

2012 JKU
Hickey said:
Hey Steve, post some pics of your engine.

pictures of 5.0 swap passed by health dept. pictures to follow

Attachments

• pictures1 010.JPG
    pictures1 010.JPG
    50.1 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:

utahxjer

I had my emissions/safety inspection on my tow rig today. They didn't even pop the hood, and this truck originally came w/ a 390 now it has a 360. And I have no idea if it's newer or not(engine), and I dought the emissions guy would either.