Toyota Swapping an E-locker into a Tacoma

cackalak

I've been wanting to get a hunting/camping/overland/housework truck for a while. I keep coming back to a Regular or Ext Cab Tacoma 2.7L 5-sp in the 01-04 vintage. I don't think any of them were equipped with an e-locker from the factory, so I am interested in swapping one in. This is a project I would like to work on myself. I am fairly limited in mechanical work, but I believe there is enough info out there to get this done (via forums, youtube, etc.). I have done basic routine maintenance, suspension work, and brakes. Nothing really major in terms of drivetrain work.

I've found sometimes that what's on paper and doing it in real life can be drastically different and on another difficulty level. For instance, swapping out steering rack bushings wasn't as easy as outlined in the repair manual. Getting the bushings back in took a long time (I think took me 8 hours overall). So I'm wondering how difficult the e-locker axle swap would be? (I'm probably going to get a whole axle). What type of issues could potentially pop up? This will be my 3rd vehicle, so not pressed for time, so I can take it at my pace, but would want it running sooner than later.

If this is going to be too difficult, I may try to find a rare 4-cyl TRD with e-locker.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
As long as the gear ratio in the new is the same as the old it's pretty straight forward. I've been wanting to do it to mine for a while. Basically unhook brake line, parking brake, drive shaft flange, U-bolts and reverse the procedure with the new axle and bleed the brakes. I believe Low Range sells a swap kit for the wiring/switch. You want to make sure the truck is stable on the jack stands and isn't going to fall off on you. Try to avoid being under vehicle while you are working. It is recommended to replace the U-bolts.

cackalak

You make it sound so easy! :D Thanks for the info. I guess I didn't think about the gear ratios. That could be an issue...

clfrnacwby

Recovery Addict
I have a rear e-locker housing from a 4runner. It's currently setup for custom links but those could be removed and spring perches welded on for your application. Then all you would need is the e-locker 3rd...:D

2A512A22-BC07-4F5A-9C03-35C341B73EE0_zpssgxcy5fm.jpg

I swapped an e-locker third into the front of my SAS'd first gen 4runner. I used the LowRange wiring harness and it was a very simple plug-n-play.

sixstringsteve

In my opinion it's easy, but if you struggled with the steering rack bushings, this will be a much bigger struggle, especially when wiring the switch.