swapping out a 6 cyl for a 4 cyl????

grinch

inner city redneck
I know swapping out a 6 cyl for a 4 cyl is wrong but hear me out.
My 6 cyl 258 is developing a serious rod nock. I dont belive I want to rebuild this engine. I run a t 19 ford tranny and have acess to buying a ford 4 cyl engine dirt cheap ($400). (I need to call advanced adaptors to see if it will bolt up or if there are adaptors). The motor has a turbo charger spooled to kick in at a real low rpm and tops out at about 4,000 rpm. It runs about 200 HP and 250 lbs of torque and is fuel injected. It also weighs about 200 lbs less than my 6 cyl.
Am I crazy for even considering this conversion? I want some real opinions cuz I dont want to do anything I might regret. My goal is to keep the rig real light weight to keep the narrow track ff 20 alive and the narrowd scout 44 alive also. (I know go 60 bla bla bla I am just trying a different aproach with this rig)

Vonski

nothing to see here...
I like it! The idea of replacing a 6 with a 4 is gay, but based on the fact that it has EFI and a turbo (if the turbo doesn't end up being a pain in the a$$), I'd like to see it be done.

grinch

inner city redneck
Yes its the 2.3 ford. The same one alot of people use in sand rails.
The turbo is already figured out so it should be easey.... well sort of....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
The only problem I see is the Bellhousing.

I doubt that you can mate a 2.3l to a T-19 with factory components. But, you are talking Ford. They made a diffrent Bellhousing for every diffrent CID engine they produced! :rolleyes:

P

pokeyYJ

I like the idea of putting a 4 popper in place of a six IF you have gearing to make up for it. Lighter, better fuel economy, easier to work on, makes those beefy axles seem like real over kill because the 4 cyl won't provide the same "hit" that a bigger motor does.

Just think, add a little NOS to that motor and you could have some real fun on the street, I'm thinking aroung a 150 shot!:D ;)

grinch

inner city redneck
My rig is already moderatly geard 4.56 in the axles, 5.32 first gear and if it is not enough i can always put the 4 to 1 in my 300 transfer case.
Im not to worried about the power of a 4 cyl. with the mods already on this engine it puts out more horsies and torque than my straight 6.
Im also not to sure the year of the car it came out of but it is out of a mustange.
I need to get ahold of advanced adaptors with the year of the vehicle it came out of and the numbers off my t 19 tranny so they can give me the conversion info. I tlked to them already but being the lame ass i am was unprepard with the case numbers and year of the doner vehicle...... Problem is my jeep is sitting at Jeepers Off Road collecting rain and mud.... guess i can cart it back to my house this weekend and quit taking up jasons and steves parking lot space:D .

sukaB

Banned
I have one hell of a beautiful 4cyl for sale for 400 complete
out of my 91 and it is one hell of a runner....

grinch

inner city redneck
Ya but your 4 cyl dosent have a turbo and put out 200 HP Suka....(sorry)
I really dont like the fact im putting a 4 cyl in..... Its giving me small pee pee syndrome.....:eek:
If this motor dosent work out im swapping in a 5.0 fuel injected. I know for a fact you can find one that bolts to a t 19 tranny. It will just take a little reaserch. The engien swap probbly wont take place till the end of the summer anyway. Im just collecting parts and info right now. I will run the 6 untill the rod nock turns into a blown rod or somthing drastic.....

sukaB

Banned
Yah but that motor aint been proven like my little girl.....
She's a tuff little bastard.
I rolled that thing like 7 times and it never once blew oil or smoked and runs like she's brand new...
her daddy takes damn good care of her.....