Swing out tire carrier spindle mount question.

chadbuckner

Oh what a feeling..Toyota
OK so I want to mount a spindle unit for use on a swing out tire carrier. I have been told that the only way to do it is to mount it in a double shear method. (Brace the top and the bottom some how) The question is how. The Spindle unit can only be mounted to the bumper from the bottom. From what I can figure there is no way to brace the top. 1) the top part spins. 2) it is sealed with a bearing cap. 3) The top needs to be open so you can remove it and service/replace bearings. Is it true that without the double shear method the hinge will eventually break off. I am asking this not because I don't believe that a spindle mounted in the correct way from the bottom could work, but because I have been told that if I mount it that way no matter how good it is mounted it will eventually break off and I'll lose the tire carrier down the trail. Info and or other methods are appreciated.

RockMonkey

Suddenly Enthusiastic
I've never seen a trailer spindle type tire carrier hinge mounted in double shear. For the number of people using these hinges I have heard of very few failures. I'm not worried about mine. ;)

wildkid

...Jeepless...
I used a 1000lb spindle when I built my tire carrier. It lasted about 3 years before breaking. The key to my carrier's failure was that I left it unlatched several times and the additional stress of the full wight of the tire swinging open and smacking the side of the rig did not help.

1993yj

For my setup I have the top braced to my body, and on the other side of the body I have a plate that is bolted to my frame for strength. This was the setup from Durango 4x4 years ago. They have since changed their design to a single shear method. Dont know why, but... I dont use bearings either. Originally it was some poly bushings, which would wear out quickly, so I got some block of nylon and had them machined to the same specs as the bushings. Have had it that way for 10 years now with no problems. I used to have a rack on top of the tire and gas cans on the sides. With that much weight it would sway back and forth on the trails, so I bolted another plate to my swing out door on the back of my jeep, and made it so that I could connect it to the tire carrier with a pin. I dont have to use that anymore since I only carry the tire now, but you could look at something like that to take stress off of the spindle. Probably easier to fab this stuff up on a Jeep rather than a Yota though since I have more body panels to use and brace from behind as well.

sjbrownie4x4

I know everyone says they will not worry about theirs, but I will never go back to the spindle.
http://www.rockymountainextreme.com/showthread.php?t=33478

But thats not your question. Its possible that you can build a spindle in double shear but you would have to weld (very percisely) a top ear that had just enough flexibility to deflect and preload your upper bearing. It would have to be sort of built in place, and you would have to cut pieces off if you wanted / needed to rebuild the bearings....

If you are looking for an alternative, take a look at the thread above for some ideas.

Last edited: