SYE installation

xjc

I give up :(
How long does it take to install a SYE into a normal XJ Tcase (231 I think it is called). I am thinking of getting the tom woods one that comes with a new main shaft, and a pretty new shiny double cardan drive shaft.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Not sure, the only one I did was the 'Hack and Tap' method. I'd guess it would take a handful of hours, since you have to pull the 'Case apart.....?

Herzog

somewhat damaged
Admin
I too have only done the hack 'n tap method on mine. But I have split my t-case open numerous times to work on it.

Chain driven cases are very simple and should be pretty easy to swap main shafts. The biggest PITA about it is all those c-clips and rings.

P

pokeyYJ

I have never done either a SYE or a hack and tap so don't take my word for biblical text. I have read that it takes about 4 hours, all the people that I have talked to say that it is not that hard to do. Just be sure to reinstall the oil pump the right way.

Caleb

Yep when I installed my AA SYE it took no more than 4 hours to do...probably closer to 3 hours and it was easy and worked flawlessly (BTW it was my first time ever working on any t-case):D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
you dont even have to pull the case, you just pull the rear driveline and split the case right there. it is easier if you have a decent lift inder there because you can sit up. James did his in his driveway :) easy as pie!!

sukaB

Banned
231's are my specialty, Five years of building them straight up..
I charge 100.00 to split, install, refurb and check,reseal and warranty against leaks.....
4.5 hours is in and out of jeep R&R.
I do have a couple of T-cases around here with good parts in them for anyone interested......

xjc

IF YOU HAVE ALL OF THE DUDADS AND THINGAMAGIS FOR A GOOD SYE KIT AND A GOOD DRIVE SHAFT I MIGHT BE WILLING TO TRADE YOU SOME GREEN FOR IT.

sukaB

Banned
I've got all kinds of goodies and stock cases and such endless boxes of 231's,241's, 205's and 242's
I can get you a driveline built.
The last TJ one I got heavy duty brand new 240.00

Andy

aka. Hollywood
Originally posted by sukaB
I've got all kinds of goodies and stock cases and such endless boxes of 231's,241's, 205's and 242's
I can get you a driveline built.
The last TJ one I got heavy duty brand new 240.00

I didn't know you were building drivelines now? :D

spencurai

Vanilla Gorilla
what tools do you need to get this project done? how much time do you "professionals" think a newbie should schedule?

what level of technical knowledge is required to do this?

sukaB

Banned
I'm not building drivelines now...
SIX STATES.....Jason
He's been building mine for my buggie and I didnt break one all year at the comps.......Heavy duty bastards as well....:D
He da man know.....

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
Originally posted by spencurai
what tools do you need to get this project done? how much time do you "professionals" think a newbie should schedule?

what level of technical knowledge is required to do this?

Sounds like Brandon would be the one to ask.....

How much time do you think a SYE would take, if someone with not as wrenching experience, did it themselfs??

Shoowallagager

Rocks? That's my Job!
It takes 3 or so hours. It was a lot simpler than I thought. Just take your time, use black RTV, get the 13?mm 12 point socket, use RTV on the star gaskets, get a new front output seal (since you're cracking that open), pre grease the oil/grease seals, a good torque wrench, a breaker bar to get yokes off and??? It was really easy compared to dealing with the numerous broken/seized bolts I've experienced on my YJ.

xjc

one reason I am considering this is because my slipyoke seems to be very loose. I can grab the Tcase side of the drive line and wigle it a little bit.

Is this normal? Have I ruinded something driving around at high speeds with minor drive line vibes? or is that piece of trash always loose like that.

sukaB

Banned
Yah it will take someone 3 to 4 hours to get it split and resealed.
The biggest problem I would have doing tech for 5 years at Tera was people would always try to put the pump on the inside of the case halfs and then try to bolt it up. It wont go together unless you overtighten and break the back half......BAD JOJO.
The pump goes on after the two cases are together!
Common hand tools will do the job but a great set of snap ring(grooved) Pliers will save you a good half hour.......
The play that your talking about in the slip yoke is ok all of them will move a little side to side,If you've noticed an improved vibration then I would want to check it myself.
I will look at it for you for free......
Just to let you know the last 231 job i did was on a girls t-case that Jiffy (spank) lube forgot to put oil in it so she ran it till the chain started rubbing the back half due to stretch and heat..
A friend in the business tried to sell her one brand new without labor 1500 bucks.....I pulled it, fixed it with new parts and labor and warranty 650....She has since put over 3000 miles on it I just checked it yesterday and she's happy as a CLAM...
Have a good one....

xjc

Thanks a million, I feel better knowing that that thing is supposed to be a little loose. Now the question I have is why I am hearing that you can put eight inches of lift on a ZJ or WJ and have no drive line issues and I am running 2.5" with shims and still have noticable vibes.

Whats the deal with that?

Maybe I just need to check my angles again:mad:

sukaB

Banned
Angles are a huge thing with drivelines there's a happy medium and there happy but if there outside that they arent.
(VIBES)
Remember those vehicles are equipped with much longer drivelines than your vehicle and that helps a whole bunch.
The smaller the tougher!
If your having issues with it we might want to check it out.
you might need to do some refurbing to joints and such a balance wont hurt iether if it's been smacked on anything..
If your planning on keeping the vehicle then I would strongly recommend at least the short shaft...
The cut the shaft and thread is the cheap quick fix but I wouldnt waste my time...
Do it right the first time is our motto.......;)