T-Case Swap

4x4_Welder

Depends on the years of the involved parts- Jeep went from a 21 spline input to a 23 spline right around 90. It's also a slip yoke case, but i have heard that a 231 SYE can be made to fit, and there are the hack and tap options as well.

PolarXJ

HO-P
Thanks for the reply. I know both are 23 spline. I did find out that the light that pops up on the dash won't work, but thats not that big of and issue for me. You pull the lever and you know when its in or not :D.
I'm wondering more if the shorter input on the 242 will be fine on the ax15.

ichi-san

Earthbound Misfit
I'm wondering more if the shorter input on the 242 will be fine on the ax15.

I have a similar bridge to cross on my build - swapping a NP231 from a AW4 to AX15. I've been told that the difference in the output length matters. Also been told TeraFlex sells a "spacer piece" that makes up the difference in lengths and this holds the AX15 seal in place. I have not followed up on this info yet - I have other problems to solve first.

Hope this helps.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
2hi, AWD, 4Hi, 4Lo
that's why.

It would be nice to have a differential front and rear output for Utah's snow and ice in a short wheelbase Wrangler.
have you ever had them apart next to each other?

242 has a wider chain and it's physically larger.

no a 231 sye won't work. A hack and tap will work but it depends on the output shaft. Tom Wood makes a kit but it's expensive. He also has some of the best tech on the 242 tcase on the internet on his website. Check it out.

249's are the gay ones. viscous coupled 4wd? No thanks...

4x4_Welder

I'm actually swapping a 242 into an Eagle. It currently has a 119 in it now, no low range and no actual lock into 4x4- Just 2wd or viscously coupled AWD. My Subaru has a better system.