Tacoma gurus, please help

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
I'm looking at purchasing an ext cab Tacoma. I've found an 01 TRD that has been in a front end collision. It has about 31" BFG AT's on it but there is some significant tire rub on the pass side when turning right. I know there are some slight frame rub issues when running this size tire but this is catching on the back portion of the wheel well not just some rub on the fram. Is this something that's normal? Or is the alignment out of wack? The guy is telling me he just had it aligned but with this it seems like the alignment might be jacked. Can't see any new parts as far as the upper and lower arms or the CV shaft is concerned. Is there anything else I should be aware of with the 01 Taco's?

chans

Make sure the back spacing of the rim is 3.75 to 4.25". If it is the stock rim than the upper or lower arms may be bent. 31 10.50 15 is stock for a TRD or even the bigger 265 70 16 so it sould not rub.

Caleb

There should not be any rub with a 31...our taco at work is an 04 4x4 standard cab non-TRD and it has 265/70R16s on it (which is equivalent to about a 32" tire) and this was stock from the factory and there is zero rubbing...IMO, knowing its been wrecked I would skip it...what else are you going to find out is wrong with it farther down the road.

chans

onetuff76 said:
if I could get some pics of yours that would be great also the front frame and the subframe member rcb0325@comcast.net
I will try to get you some pictures tonight. I just have to grab the digi camera. I agree with Supergrper, you will have to be careful. If it was hit hard enough to bend the arms or frame than there is probably other damage.

Last edited:

onetuff76

Guard Rail Tester
yeah I took it over to the toyota mechanic that works on my mom's solara. He ways it looks like the frame is bent a little somewhere. So I passed on buying it. Oh well back to searching.

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
Buy my Tacoma. It's for sale and hasn't been wrecked. '00 TRD w/70k. I can also say that 31s won't rub until you get wheels with about -40mm offset.

EZRhino

KalishnaKitty
It only rubs on one side? It's possible the frame is bent. I think the body shops call it a "diamond bend" or something similar....basically it is a trapezoid. It can be straightened on a frame rack.

EZ

suv

Booty-fab Instructor
onetuff76 said:
I would but $16K is a little over my price range. $15K is my high

Actually, I have decided to sell my shell separately...so I'm selling the truck for $15,200. But, since $15,200 > $15,000, It may still be a bit high. :-\ Anyway, good luck finding one.