tacoma lift options

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
im thinking about lifting my truck its a 99 tacoma, i really am only looking to go with 3 inches nothing to big. but i am not sure on what to do. i was thinking a spacer kit would be the way to go but i dont have a spring compressor. so i was wondering if it would be worth having it installed at a shop or to buy the coil overs. or could you buy a compressor for not to much to get the job done. i have no clue about what makes a bad lift for these trucks and would like to hear some personal experiences.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
i was also wondering if there are any local shops that you would recommend to buy the kit from or to have the installation done at.

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
You can rent a spring compressor at auto parts stores. (I rented mine from Autozone).

I've read plenty about lifting a Tacoma and unfortunately I'm still running stock... If I were doing it I would probably just get some OME 881 springs for the front instead of the spacer.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
You can rent a spring compressor at auto parts stores. (I rented mine from Autozone).

I've read plenty about lifting a Tacoma and unfortunately I'm still running stock... If I were doing it I would probably just get some OME 881 springs for the front instead of the spacer.

why the springs?

Paul R

Obviously you can spend an unlimited amount of money on a lift but I am going with the OME for value and performance.

If you are going to ever do a bull bar or winch up front then you'll want the 882' springs up front if you go with OME otherwise the 881's mentioned before should work... IMO it is a great lift for the money. I actually just ordered my lift kit from Kurt @ Cruiser Outfitters great guy and a great price! You can PM him or call him, he can tell you what you need. :D

Definately don't go for a drop bracket or anything bigger than 3 inches.

Last edited:

chans

Spacers are OK but the ride will be a bit stiffer. Just make sure to get the ones that go on the spring. Coils will be a quite a bit more because you need the shocks to go with them. The best option is check Ebay for some adjustable coilovers. You can usually find some new sway a way ones for 400.00 or less. You can also check the Tacoma fourums for used ones and get Kings for around 500 - 600 or DRs for 700 - 800. From experience with all three, spacers = rougher ride, coils = close to stock ride and coil overs = better than stock ride. I would stick with 2.5" since 3" will wear out your boots quick and you will need a diff drop kit but they suck and the bolts will break.
These may be more than you are looking to spend but not a bad price and no need to rent a spring compressor
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/96-0...023QQitemZ360018454599QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWD1V

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Look on ebay. Revtek has a complete kit front and rear for pretty cheap. I have seen it on a few trucks and they looked good. I have used the downey and fabtech adjustable kits and really liked the ride they provided. In messing with many tacoma coils I have never used a coil spring compressor.

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
Please don't waste your money on blinging, stiff coilovers.

For a spacer lift I recommend Daystar or Revtek.

Old Man Emu is good, but there are better choices still.

Steve at www.sonoransteel.com has all the info you need.

A 1" Body Lift would also be easy and inexpensive and requires no additional modification. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

When you rent a spring compressor get the best one you can find and keep the threads lubricated to keep them from galling and bending the rods. These springs are stiff!

Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with the Truck.

Last edited:

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Do it. If you are lookin for cheap way to get it up this is it. I have done these before and seemed to ride just like it did stock. I had to get mine aligned after I did it.

Fuller

Formerly limegrnxj
yeah i was thinking that option would be the easiest.

im just mainly looking for more ground clearance to put some bigger tires on

maybe just a mall cruiser haha

SLC97SR5

IDIesel
what about the spacers you can buy that you dont have to remove the coil springs u just bolt them on the top of the strut assy?

Very simple and effective way to fit a larger tire. No spring compressor needed, soak the 3 top nuts with some WD-40 a couple days before you attempt this and you will have no problems. DO NOT remove the center nut, this is holding the coil/shock assembly together.

I'd recommend going no higher than 2.5" and also purchasing a 1" differential drop kit...cheap insurance for your CV's.
The ride is virtually the same, although there is a bit more sway because if the increased COG.

As suggested above, get the Truck aligned after a few days to allow the components to seat in their new positions.

After lifting, keep an eye on the swaybar endlinks. They have a tendency to break in the middle of the shaft when wheeled.

chans

Why would you need new shocks with new springs and not with spacers? :confused:

New shocks would be good but I'm confused at the difference.

With the OME springs you need the shocks they fit on. You can't put OME springs on your stock shock or at least I was told you couldn't but you can use spacers on the stock springs and shock.

Last edited:

chans

hmm good info here, what about the spacers you can buy that you dont have to remove the coil springs u just bolt them on the top of the strut assy?

like this one here http://www.fatbobsgarage.com/cart/products/Toyota_Tacoma_3_Leveling_Kit_4WD_2WD_1996_2004-473-188.html ?

Get the ones that go on the coil. There have been many people on TTORA that used the ones that go on the top of the assembly and had nothing but problems with them. I ran the Daystar ones for years with no problems and heard good things about the Toytec ones. No matter what people tell you the spacers will make the ride stiffer than stock. I also took off my sway bar since it made the ride smoother. With the sway bar off and my Fox coilovers it handles better in the corners coming down the canyon then with it connected and rides a lot nicer than stock. If you decide on a body lift and going to wheel a lot make sure you make some plates or something to keep the bolts from pulling through.

Last edited:

chans

Please don't waste your money on blinging, stiff coilovers.

For a spacer lift I recommend Daystar or Revtek.

Old Man Emu is good, but there are better choices still.

Steve at www.sonoransteel.com has all the info you need.

A 1" Body Lift would also be easy and inexpensive and requires no additional modification. http://www.4crawler.com/4x4/ForSale/BodyLiftKit.shtml

When you rent a spring compressor get the best one you can find and keep the threads lubricated to keep them from galling and bending the rods. These springs are stiff!

Of course, it all depends on what you want to do with the Truck.

Not to start an arguement but what coilovers did you run that were a stiff ride? I have Fox and rode in trucks with Donahoes and Kings and all were soo much nicer going over bumps and washboards. It just makes sense with custom progressive springs and custom valved high performance shock bodies that are tuned to the weight of a Tocoma to ride better than factory. But to the OP any of the choices will work good for you and I have used all of them and it is just a matter of how much you want to invest.

Last edited:

Spork

Tin Foil Hat Equipped
With the OME springs you need the shocks they fit on. You can't put OME springs on your stock shock or at least I was told you couldn't but you can use spacers on the stock springs and shock.

I've read both ways. Not sure what to believe anymore... :confused: I searched on all the popular taco sites and couldn't find anything either way. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=142 is a write up on the OME install and even it says "OME front shocks (either the N91s or N91sc) or some other long-travel shock"

When I replaced my shocks I remember a bottom coil bucket that fit on the shock and unless OME is doing something like running a larger or smaller diameter coil or some kind of strange end I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

Last edited:

chans

I've read both ways. Not sure what to believe anymore... :confused: I searched on all the popular taco sites and couldn't find anything either way. http://www.customtacos.com/tech/index.php?article=142 is a write up on the OME install and even it says "OME front shocks (either the N91s or N91sc) or some other long-travel shock"

When I replaced my shocks I remember a bottom coil bucket that fit on the shock and unless OME is doing something like running a larger or smaller diameter coil or some kind of strange end I'm not sure why it wouldn't work.

I am thinking the OME springs are longer and the N91 shocks are designed for that but I'm not sure since I don't think they fit on the stock shock since I have never heard of someone doing that. I was told by a place that stocked OME that you had to use the N91 but probably the only way to find out for sure is to call ARB/OME.

Last edited: