Toyota Tacoma: Swap my tranny from 2wd to 4wd

theferg

DD for Life
Looking for a shop or some shop space and someone to help me for swapping out my auto 2wd tranny and putting in my auto 4wd/tcase combo.

Its a 2002 Tacoma doublecab prerunner and im going all stock for the conversion. I've read plenty of conversion threads on this and I know what it takes to get it done. Its basically disconnect and unbolt old, bolt in and connect new (with a stock 4wd crossmember), shorten the rear intermediate drive shaft (I figure I can have galens driveshafts in lehi shorten the shaft), then wire up a couple connections. Also, The tcase is the jshift manual version and the fromt axle will be manual as well so no extra motor wiring. I would like to add in a seperate tranny cooler as well but that shouldnt be a big deal.

Ive done tons of mechanic and 4wd stuff on my own (ill be doing all the front axle stuff for the conversion) I just havent ever done tranny stuff and I dont have a tranny jack (and dont wanna buy one) and don't really have any work space at the moment.

Thoughts, ideas, and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

Last edited:

sixstringsteve

Shoot ufab a pm. They might do stuff like that.

WHat does the tranny weigh? Every time I've dropped a tranny we just got 3 guys under it and heaved it out of the way.

theferg

DD for Life
Definitely. Thanks man.

Not sure on weight.... Lifted the new one (with tcase) outta the back of my truck with just me and my father in law. It was pretty heavy for the two of us. I'd def want to use a jack to get the new one in place....

lewis

Fight Till You Die
Just don't bolt on the torque conveter first. Make sure its all lined up in the tranny housing then once the tranny is bolted then bolt the converter. I blew a pump in a brand new trans this way cause the torque converter wasn't lined up. It was a chevy though but I doubt things would be different with the toyota one.

sixstringsteve

I'm not sure if Low Range Offroad would do it or not, but a few of the employees there have converted prerunners to 4x4's. It's worth giving them a call at least.