Tacoma tire ?'s

metalry101

R/C addict
Alright...my parent's '05 Tacoma needs new tires and my dad has asked me to make some suggestions. He wants something that'll be good (if not great) in the snow and ice (it's my mom's DD), and work well off-road. Something like a gnarly AT or a street friendly MT. He's also thinking about going up in size a bit. Anyone know what the biggest tire you can fit on one of those w/ no rubbing? If it matters at all, it's quad cab, short bed w/ the TRD package. Right now it has 265/70/R16's. He doesn't really want to go any wider if he doesn't have to...just a little taller. Suggestions anyone?

metalry101

R/C addict
BFG-AT great in snow!! and very street friendly...maybe a 265/75/16
After doing a little research, the 265/75/R16's that you mention seem to be a good size to go w/. If the specs they give are to be believed, they're about an inch taller than the 265/70's. So unless anyone has a better suggestion, we'll assume that's the size we want.

The BFG A/T's would be a good way...but I dunno...I think my dad my be leaning towards something even more aggressive...like the MT...but w/ siping for snow and ice. Does anyone have any experience w/ siped MT's in the snow? Are the comparable to a good AT or still wicked sketchy?

I've always really, really liked the TrXus MT's, as well as the FC II's. Anyone have experience w/ these tires? How about the Cepek Mud Countrys?

One other thing I should mention is that my dad is a HUGE fan of tough tires. He'll take a rough riding 10 ply tire over a smooth 6 ply any day. He doesn't wheel hard enough to need sidewall flex, and he doesn't tow enough to need ridiculous weight ratings. He just wants a tire that won't do what one of the current tires did. The sidewall is ballooning out on about 60% of the diameter on one of the tires. I guess the cords came apart or something...I don't exactly...but the tire is trashed. He wants a tire that can take some abuse from sharp rocks and such and not come apart on him.

78mitsu

give the kellys mtx a look, nice agressive tire, good in the snow and mud, decendt tread life and they wheel pretty good too.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
BFG's are awful tough to beat. They do everything pretty well. I never lost traction in the "snow" here in UT (heheh) with them on.

Function before fashion.

M

muddyjeep

I run the BFG at's 33/12.50/r15 year round on a cherokee and love those tires I will never run anything else. There great in the snow too.

xjshorty21

Buckle Up And Shut Up
i have the truxs MT they are alright but the BFG AT are going to be the best in the snow any all terrian tire is going to be better in the snow then aa MT but check into the Toyo MT i know they look really aggressive and i have heard alright in the snow i know alot of people run them but i have not