tacoma

LT.

Sir, I am not really all that good at being PC but I would suggest that if you want to carry this conversation on you may want to use PM's instead of using a forum that can be viewed by the public. Just a thought though so don't get mad at me for the suggestion.

LT.

LT.

While I am far from being a Chevy guru if I am not mistaken the part number you listed is for a Axle positraction, or Limited slip. Not really a locker as we have all come understand a locker to be. Just trying to help.

LT.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
It is not a locking differential. Every single one of the FACTORY MANUALS I have, which list every production option and the codes for them, plus show in great detail the parts inside of every part of GM trucks, lists that as "G80-- Axle, rear limited slip".

Besides that, every link you click about the G80 option will tell you that it is a limited slip. The very detailed factory service manual I am looking at right now shows every little piece of it, and I can assure you without a doubt that what you have is not a "locker", it is a limited slip.

In addition, you claim to have "locking differentials", plural. Unfortunately for you, the G80 limited slip was offered as an option for the rear only.

Do you homework, or get absolutely raped by reality. You do not have locking differentials, you have one limited slip.

And when it explodes, I can scan the manual and you can fix it just the dealer would. :D That's why I have the manuals. I've had... 10 Chevy trucks over the years, but you know better. Alright.

hijack

just a little advise for ya burb these guys and most of the people on this site are very smart and are very reluctant to help any fellow wheelers and people in genral and i am greatfull for the help i have recived and for the hospitality that i have recived as well and i'm not a tech guru by any means and thats part of the reason i registered for this site . it take a little trust to take info or advise from someone you dont know peroid i dont think anyone on here would give anyone else misinformation purposely . hijack over :(

BCGPER

Starting Another Thread
Ah yes, GM marketing.....

I have a Turbo-Jet 350. I know the 350 all too well, but damn if I can find that Turbo. And as far as I'm concerned, GM owes me a Jet as well!

Now, for calling people out. Let me give you a little history lesson. I married a girl from Duchesne well before you were born. Her parents and entire family live there, and I'm there around one weekend a month, and we as a family wheel there a lot. So,when you think you're up to it, bring it on.

Now, if you were smart..... Ok, skip that part. What I would do if I were you, is just LISTEN to what these guys are telling you and TRUST their experience instead of trying to make people think you've got the baddest rig here. You don't, not by a long shot. And the badass rig owners here will NEVER tell you they've got the baddest, but they will tell you how to improve yours. Ask, don't argue, you may go far young Grasshoppa. Act like a redneck and call people out, you'll get your ass handed to you on a plate.

Mr.Chevy

Ok I just wanted to add just a little more info on the G80. I have had a few CM trucks that have had it and it isn't a bad unit but not the best.

Now it isn't a full locker but it isn't a full limited slip ether. It is kinda in-between the two. So people call it a gov-lock. It is basically an on-demand locker that uses a light coil that mechanically signals the clutches to lock up. Its like a limited slip that is open until excessive wheel slip triggers it to apply the clutches and have the tires lock. It tends to stay locked up till you ether backup or go over 20-25 mph or when it can tell that the 2 tires are spinning at the same speed again.

GM does list it as a locker on there site on new vehicles and they also have a limited slip option also. The G80 is the locker and the G86 is the limited slip option.

The G80 is ok for light things and is kinda nice for light wheeling because when you need the tires locked the will be and when you need it open it will be. This is if it works like it should. It tends to have problems locking in fully and when used heavy it can and will brake in a bad way because it takes about 100 RPM difference in the wheel spin to have it lock and when it dose it isn't a nice smooth lock it just locks it together and off it goes.

So there is my .02 cents on the G80 hope it helps.

Tacoma

Et incurventur ante non
GM does list it as a locker on there site on new vehicles and they also have a limited slip option also. The G80 is the locker and the G86 is the limited slip option.

That's right, they do list it as a locking differential on the newer stuff.. I think for the 98-up? if I'm remembering right. Eaton's website is also listing the current option as a locker too.
It is probably most accurately described as you have, as a sort of hybrid...