talk me out of a Bronco

smartass_kid

as title says, i'm looking at Ford broncos, full sized only, FI only. would like one not rusted out.

i've had one before about 10 years ago and it kinda sucked. but it was beat and not cared for by previous owner. i was also a dumbass kid who didn't know anything. :rofl:

my ideas:
not going to be doing a lot of hardcore wheeling, just not what i can do now. no house, no garage means i can't wrench all the time to fix any damage. maybe in a year or two. wife wants to do more trail riding/camping type stuff. my 2 year old wouldn't enjoy bouncing around all the time either.
really looking for a cherokee but so is half of SLC, prices are really inflated. also after any mods, MPG would equal a bronco MPG.
could into a good clean one for about 2-3 grand. maybe 1500.
good ground clearance for trail riding and expedition type stuff.
cheap body lift and some bigger tires would be easy to give more tire room.
removeable top in summer, miss that a lot.
parts would be cheap and easy to work on.
plenty of room; for me(6'), for more people and carseat in back seat, also cargo area.

so talk me out of it and i know it's not the most badass rig but i'm ok with it. not what i need right now.

let me know of any cheap ones you want to sell.:D

Rot Box

Diesel and Dust
I'd go 87-91. Mostly because I like the interior those years far better than the earlier and later years. You'd have fuel injection not sure if the drivetrain changed much compared to later years...

Nothing wrong with a bronco however I don't think fuel mileage will be anywhere near an XJ but I've been wrong before.

1TonTom

Poser Offroad Bronco
I just built me another bronco, 4.5 inches of lift 1 ton superduty axles and 38's so yeah I pretty much am in love with my rig :)

TRD270

Emptying Pockets Again
Supporting Member
I would talk you out of it, but this is almost exactly my plan when the 4runner sells, this or a salvaged JK

gertsch

It doesn't matter what others think. It matters what you think and what you want to accomplish with whatever rig you have or use. I think a bronco would be cool. But I know the newer ones with the electronic controlled auto can be a pain to deal with. Or at least that's what I've been told. I lived my old f150 with the 351 in it.

ChestonScout

opinions are like Jeeps..
I love Broncos. Ride nice, roomy.

I HATE the ttb front axle.

What I would do is get a 78-79 and swap in a efi 460. I know thats not what you want to do right now but that was my plan....when I just ended up with a WJ for my camping/work rig

thenag

I had a bad ass bronco, 87 with a efi 460 1 ton axles 37's etc
http://www.supermotors.net/registry/194

There are two reasons we tore it down and built up something new (happened to build an xj) 1. It was just getting beat to hell, the motor and drive train were still great, but the 2nd reason was that it was too big and heavy to run with the vehicles we were running with.

It served me well, was able to be built up incrementally and pretty solid.

With any project know what you you want to end up with, that sounds like you have a good idea of and that you won't be mad if in a few years you realize that your rig isn't a good platform for the trails you want to be doing.

I know a huge problem in the bronco community is putting a 4 inch lift on, locking it then needing to upgrade axles. Then you need new wheels to go 8 lug and usually new tires. So you end up with a lift kit, wheels and tires to sell off. My bronco was stock until I got a wrecked 96 f350. it went from stock to a 460 and one tons in about a month. It was my daily driver and I lived in an apartment for both the engine swap and axle swap, but I was able to do the work at my parents house. (engine swap the truck was only un-drive-able for 3 days)

A stock bronco will clear 33 inch tires with no lift, if you want to cut fenders you can clear 35's with a little rubbing and no lift.

The sucky thing about broncos is that there is very little aftermarket support for things like bumpers and sliders. So not having a place to build bumpers etc is an issue. Any jeep or toyota will have more off the shelf options.

I would rather have a newer vehicle with a nice a/c than a removable top. If you are going to put a small child in the rear of a topless bronco they are going to get sun burnt, so a bikini top would have to be made. The bronco top comes off but if you are in an apartment where are you going to store it?

If you want an auto try to find a 1996 make sure it has the e4od, the early 90's e4od's had more issues. Also the 351 got pretty good in the mid 90's.

If you want a stick I am not sure if you can get an efi 351 with a NP435 (87 or 88 would be the only years that might have that combo)

The rear axle isn't too bad, before 84 they got a ford 9, after they got a ford 8.8 which is probably good for up to 35's.

From 80-96 the front "axle" is a d44 ttb, which pretty much sucks unless you build it up for go fast desert stuff. (yes I said that a stock ttb sucks, lifting them sucks even more, and trying to steer them sucks even more, people do crap like this to get them to steer well and it still doesn't work well. http://www.explorerforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=234700&page=4 )

you can convert the front d44 ttb to 8 lug using gm parts. (so if you want to drop a gm 14 bolt or other 1 ton axle in the rear but don't swap the front axle you can run 8 lug wheels on the ttb)

I miss having the space of the bronco more than anything, but I don't miss having a big heavy pig that the doors don't seal, the a/c only works ok.

I think you should consider a k5 blazer, d60/gm14 bolt is just about a bolt in swap, gm 350 is a great motor that is easy and cheap to build up, the th350 auto is just fine. the t-case's are alright too. You would get a straight d44 up front. I don't know that aftermarket bolt ons are any more available than for a bronco but looking long-range for junk yard upgrades it is easier and cheaper for sure. (of course gm d60's are harder to find than ford d60's)

Ask questions if you want, I will give you my opinions

Nathan
99 xj with stuff, build thread here
http://www.rme4x4.com/showthread.php?83436-Nathan-and-Tanja-s-99-XJ-Build-up

smartass_kid

thanks for all the comments, kinda leaning that way and could sell in few years as needs change.

hopefully i'll get a bonus and be able to just pick up a good deal if it comes up.

thanks for all the info thenag, good stuff. didn't think about bikini top....hmmm.
k5 blazer are cool also, very similar so it's possible.
seen a few bumper and stuff online but overall not a lot.

Raleigh

OMF Dave
I ran the hell out of my 78, she needed locker in the worst way but we had fun.
I added a Holley TBI and Edelbrock Performer intake, double roller timing chain, rear shackle flip and a 2" AAL gave me 6" out back, 6" Deaver coils and drop brackets with proper bushings up front for 6".
Nothing better than wheeling with the top off!
dscn0346dx.jpg

dscn0352f.jpg

dscn0358x.jpg

dscn0362i.jpg

flexyfool

GDW
You can get great deals on fullsize Broncos, Blazers, and Ramchargers in Boise at least. Same for Cherokees, Grand Wagoneers, and the older CJ's. Some are bone stock. Some have cheap mods. Rust is not an issue. Jump in and drive them away. Perfectly serviceable. $1500-$4500 gets you something pretty nice. The economy in Boise must be a lot worse than SLC if you are having trouble finding cheap 4x4's. Now the other Jeeps are not cheap. Used CJ7's, YJ's, TJ's, and YK's are overpriced IMHO.

thenag

Nothing better than wheeling with the top off!

I would still rather have a kick ass a/c and be able to talk to passengers on the highway, but I am getting old...

I think if you had a modest garage and picked up some basic metal working tools and a welder, a bronco would be a great rig to build for moderate wheeling. pick up a 95/96, throw 33's or 35's on it, build up some sliders and bumpers, maybe throw a aussie locker in the rear. It would be a great family wheeler with plenty of space for trips.

Nathan