Talk me out of it.

Hickey

Burn-barrel enthusiast
Supporting Member
I'm all for 2wd, as long as you understand how traction is affected by trailer weight.

A 2wd truck can do just fine in Montana in the winter.

Gravy

Ant Anstead of Dirtbikes
Supporting Member
I've been driving a 2wd 3/4 ton for work for the past 7 years. I get stuck about twice every winter. I never go in dirt parking lots and I'm not towing anything. (Things that I do regularly with my tow rig).

Actually I just got stuck with it last week when it was wet and I had to tow a trailer to the dump. That was embarrassing: empty trailer, flat wet garbage surface, stuck 3/4 ton.

2 times I've had to recover my Jeep with my 4x4 Super Duty. Both times I'm pretty confident I couldn't have got it out without a solid axle truck, much less a non 4wd no low range truck.

Go with 4wd.

maveric

Crawler Collecter
No I never have and I don't know of anything that direction I would be towing my Tacoma on 40s to wheel.

I have heard South Dakota has some awesome wheeling, and you have to drive through Wyoming to get there. Also hear Rock Springs has some good wheeling too.

That being said, as much as I would like to say "just buy the 4wd", I no longer tow with a 4wd.
My 2wd tow rig has a set of chains for the rear. Is it gonna help? Yep. Is it better than 4wd? Nope.
A rear locker in the 2wd would help a lot too.

If this was your only truck, I would say 4wd for sure. But since you have other 4wd trucks, I would guess you will be ok with 2wd for MOST trips you haul with it.

N-Smooth

Smooth Gang Founding Member
True but not with the added security, satisfaction and swagger of a 3/4 or one ton.

I've been towing my Jeep around with my 1/2 ton for 4 years now and haven't wished for a bigger truck even once.

I agree with the anti-2wd comments.

Greg

Make RME Rockcrawling Again!
Admin
A friend of mine had a 2WD Chevy 1/2 ton tow rig.... we headed to Moab one evening after work. By the time we got into Moab it was well after 10 PM and we were beat. We headed up Sand Flats road, looking for a campsite, a few miles up we found a loop that appeared to have open sites and while driving around the 2WD tow rig got stuck. We were all tired, just wanted to setup camp and sleep, but we had to unload his Jeep, pull out the tow rig w/ trailer, then load the Jeep back up and tie it down again, then continue looking for a campsite. It sucked... :(

Another friend bought a 2WD 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 and 4L80e.... it towed like a champ, but when we was done with it he practically had to give it away (living in UT) because nobody wants a 2WD truck in Utah. Obviously that means they're cheap to buy, but if you ever have to sell it remember that you aren't going to get top dollar.

spaggyroe

Man Flu Survivor
I tow with a 2wd dodge 3/4 ton v10. It has really low miles for the year and the price was right (did a bunch of wrenching on my father in laws classic cars in exchange for it).

While I'm very thankful to have a tow rig and I do like how it tows, a 4x4 would come in handy.

That being said, buying a 2wd would save a ton of money and if that allows you to get out and wheel more, I'd go for it.

Rock Taco

Exactly how cheap is your ass, anyway? I don't think you've mentioned your desired budget yet in this thread. How much are you looking to (not) spend?

The budget is growing constantly. What ever I get I'm paying cash for. I don't see myself making payments on something that will get such little use.

I've been towing my Jeep around with my 1/2 ton for 4 years now and haven't wished for a bigger truck even once.

I agree with the anti-2wd comments.

Thats probably why the XJ keeps getting lighter.

A friend of mine had a 2WD Chevy 1/2 ton tow rig.... we headed to Moab one evening after work. By the time we got into Moab it was well after 10 PM and we were beat. We headed up Sand Flats road, looking for a campsite, a few miles up we found a loop that appeared to have open sites and while driving around the 2WD tow rig got stuck. We were all tired, just wanted to setup camp and sleep, but we had to unload his Jeep, pull out the tow rig w/ trailer, then load the Jeep back up and tie it down again, then continue looking for a campsite. It sucked... :(

Another friend bought a 2WD 3/4 ton Chevy with a 6.0 and 4L80e.... it towed like a champ, but when we was done with it he practically had to give it away (living in UT) because nobody wants a 2WD truck in Utah. Obviously that means they're cheap to buy, but if you ever have to sell it remember that you aren't going to get top dollar.

I don't want to be a burden on my friends but what else are they for? Haha.

I have wondered how the 6.0 tow. I need to drive one to see how I like them.

That being said, buying a 2wd would save a ton of money and if that allows you to get out and wheel more, I'd go for it.

I think that's great advice.

I'm a fan of 2wd trucks. I have had two, now, with this Tundra being the best truck I have owned (so far). Any limitation or issue I have run into was more due to me running my tires too far past where I should have. Other than that, it tows well and I don't mess with bad weather all that much.

Only being here for 4 years no[FONT=Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif, Arial]w the only wheeling I know of is down south in the winter. [/FONT]

Rock Taco

Just to clarify I would prefer a 4wd and probably only a couple of trucks I would even consider as a 2wd. Maybe I'm just patient enough to wait for the truck that has it all.

mombobuggy

I get that I have never owned a 2 wheel drive but have long coveted my Neighbors 2 Owner 12 Valve that has been garaged it entire life .

Rock Taco

Well I finally pulled the trigger on a truck. Most of you would be glad to know it is 4WD. Thanks for the push you guys gave me to make that decision.

Rock Taco

What did you get? Pics? Details, at least. Jeez, this is like a post from Ryan.... :rolleyes:

Who doesn't long to be skippy? haha If I was Ryan I wouldn't reply for at least 2 weeks.

Its a 99' F350 7.3L super cab. 214k Its the early 99' Black w/grey interior.

Anyone have any 8x170 wheels kicking around they don't want?

Last edited:

Rock Taco

Here are a couple of pictures from the Ad. Its nothing special and this is the best angle to view it from. haha

99 F350.jpg99 F350-1.jpg